× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Basic Config - Layer 3 Switch

GaACETech
Tutor

Basic Config - Layer 3 Switch

I have two of the GS716v2 that I need to install in a temporary work area for employee's.   About 10 people per switch plus a SonicWall SonicWave AP (only 3 users will use Wifi).  These switches connect via fiber (work fine).  Its a single flat network.

Besides adding a static IP to the device (if thats even necessary), what are the other basic setup points that need to be done?  Is this switch "ready out of the box".   I had these switches available but a unmanaged switch would have sufficed also.

Also I'll mention I can't see the SonicWave device on the SonicWall.  But i think thats another issue.

Thanks.

Darryl

Model: GS716Tv2|16 ports ProSafe Gigabit Smart switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

All these switches come out of the box with a flat L2 network config. bandwidth requirements permitting one fiber link per switch is sufficient - there you go.

I would ensure the switches are managed resp. secured. Take control, change the default password, configure a static IP or set-up a MAC-IP reservation on the DHCP server so the switches can be reached and monitored at least, configure SNMP security or disable it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

All these switches come out of the box with a flat L2 network config. bandwidth requirements permitting one fiber link per switch is sufficient - there you go.

I would ensure the switches are managed resp. secured. Take control, change the default password, configure a static IP or set-up a MAC-IP reservation on the DHCP server so the switches can be reached and monitored at least, configure SNMP security or disable it.

Message 2 of 4
GaACETech
Tutor

You mentioned disabling SNMP.   To do thta change the status of the public and private entries to 'disable'?

Community Configuration 

Management Station IPManagement Station IP MaskCommunity StringAccess ModeStatus
                  ReadOnly               ReadWrite                                  Enable               Disable                
0.0.0.00.0.0.0publicReadOnlyEnable
0.0.0.00.0.0.0privateReadWriteEnable

Thanks,

Darryl

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

The idea was to put up secure comunity strings and not use the default public ones. Sorry for the poor wording.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements