× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Can't manage JGS524Ev2 from another subnet

mambojuice
Aspirant

Can't manage JGS524Ev2 from another subnet

Is the JGS524Ev2 locked down to only allow web management from the local subnet?

I used the ProSafe Plus utility to search for and detect my new switch from a computer with a 192.168.1.0/24 address. This is the same subnet as my DHCP scope, so the switch was detected with a DHCP address.

As soon as I gave the switch a static IP on my management subnet (192.168.3.0/24), the ProSafe utility gave an error about the utility not being on the same subnet as the switch and now the switch is no longer detected. I can only detect and manage the switch if I'm on the one PC that also has an IP on my management subnet.

Is this by design? Is there a way to disable this feature?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
mambojuice
Aspirant

Finally had a chance to use Wireshark, any connections from the 192.168.1.0 network were being refused.

I ended up reinstalling the firmware even though it was the same version and then doing a factory reset and reconfiguring everything. Now it is accessable.

Very strange 😕

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
mambojuice
Aspirant

To make things weirder, last night I configured my second JGS524Ev2 and it doesn't do the same thing! I can access the web UI to manage it from any subnet on my network.

To draw something of a picture:

Switch 1: 192.168.3.2/24

Switch 2: 192.168.3.3/24

PC 1: 192.168.1.104/24

PC 2: 192.168.3.10/24

PC 1 can only access the Web UI of Switch 2, while PC 2 can access the Web UI of both Switch 1 and Switch 2.

I've done a factory reset and I'm on the latest firmware. What gives?

Message 2 of 6
Napsterbater
Apprentice

Does said switch have a correct default gateway/route set?

Message 3 of 6
mambojuice
Aspirant

Yes, both switches have the same gateway 192.168.3.1

There is no firewall or ACL defined controlling traffic flow between subnets, they are separated purely to differentiate services (users, storage, management)

Message 4 of 6
Napsterbater
Apprentice

Start looking at the Router/Gateway for the 192.168.1.0/24 Network, or snif the traffic on the switch port, see if its even hitting the switch. My money is on the rotuter/gateway.. 

Message 5 of 6
mambojuice
Aspirant

Finally had a chance to use Wireshark, any connections from the 192.168.1.0 network were being refused.

I ended up reinstalling the firmware even though it was the same version and then doing a factory reset and reconfiguring everything. Now it is accessable.

Very strange 😕

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements