× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot login - IP address

Philip_Sta
Tutor

Cannot login - IP address

I have installed my switch about 2 years ago and wanted to access it again to deploy the latest firmware however I do not manage to access it through my browser via the standaard IP address that is indicated on the device...it shows an error message "this site can't be reached" - "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT". Anyone who can help?  

Model: JGS516PE|ProSafe Plus 16 ports switch with PoE
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Philip_Sta
Tutor

Re: Cannot login - IP address

You were spot on, my other systems were not located on the same network as my switch. I did not change any IP settings, instead I followed the instructions from the manual:

1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable between the switch and the network.
2. Unplugged the switch’s power cord.
3. Reconnected the Ethernet cable between the switch and the network.
4. Plugged the switch’s power cord into an electrical outlet.
The switch powered on. The network DCHP server discovered the switch and assigned it an IP address that is in the correct subnet for the network.

after that I reran the discovery tool and it found the switch - I could also access it via the web brower, using the newly assigned IP address. 

many thanks for your help!

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

have you logged into your router to check to see if the router assigned it a different ip address? 

Or used the switch discovery tool from the support site? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/JGS516PE.aspx#download

Message 2 of 6
Philip_Sta
Tutor

yes I ran the discovery tool, I attached the result. Thank you.

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

are you running a double nat? (more than 1 router device)?
The switch is on a different subnet that the device you're trying to access from. 

what router do you have? 

What modem/gateway are you connected to? 

If the switch is connected to the gateway and the router/devices to a different that'll cause issues. 

A double nat happens when you cascade more than 1 router.
https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Fixes? There’s 3 options but only use 1.
1. Put the modem/gateway in modem only/pass through mode. This disables its routing functions.
2. Leave the modem/gateway in router mode but put the Netgears IP address into its DMZ. This forwards the data to the netgear. You can either leave the modem/gateway’s wireless enabled or disabled. Just make sure its using a different wifi channel to prevent interference
3. Put the Netgear into access point mode. This disables its routing functions. Wifi/ethernet still works but it does disable some features.
https://kb.netgear.com/26765/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-NETGEAR-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-M...

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Of course you can't reach the 192.168.0.239 address discovered - assumable located on the same network as your other systems on the 192.168.1.x/24 subnet. Even if the switch is configured as a DHCP client, if your router (or other LAN DHCP server) is slow on startup, there won't be an address assigned.

I'd suggest to manually configure a computer adapter into the 192.168.0.x/24 (255.255.255.0) LAN subnet, skip any confg or validity checks in case these are offered, now use a Web browser to access the switch on it's default IP.

Double check it's configured for DHCP, alternatively define it to a free LAN IP address (off the router DHCP pool/range) in the 192.168.1.x/24 network, same DNS and default gateway as assigned by the router DHCP. (typically 192.168.1.1). 

Message 5 of 6
Philip_Sta
Tutor

You were spot on, my other systems were not located on the same network as my switch. I did not change any IP settings, instead I followed the instructions from the manual:

1. Disconnect the Ethernet cable between the switch and the network.
2. Unplugged the switch’s power cord.
3. Reconnected the Ethernet cable between the switch and the network.
4. Plugged the switch’s power cord into an electrical outlet.
The switch powered on. The network DCHP server discovered the switch and assigned it an IP address that is in the correct subnet for the network.

after that I reran the discovery tool and it found the switch - I could also access it via the web brower, using the newly assigned IP address. 

many thanks for your help!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements