× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting multiple VLANS to internet through single port connected to router on JGS524PE

NetworkN00b2021
Aspirant

Connecting multiple VLANS to internet through single port connected to router on JGS524PE

I'm trying to get multiple VLANs to connect out to the internet through a JGS524PE without success so far.  I set up the following VLAN configuration.  Port 14 is tagged and is connected to the router.  All others are untagged.  When I enter this config everything loses internet connectivity.  Any ideas?

VLANConfig.png

PVIDs are

VLANPVID.png

Model: JGS524PE|ProSafe Plus 24 ports switch with PoE
Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: Connecting multiple VLANS to internet through single port connected to router on JGS524PE

What exactly do you want to achieve?

Your set-up is an appropriate 802.1q confguration for multiple networks. You have five individual networks, where each needs it's own IP subnet, it's own DHCP server, it's dedicated default gateway IP address - what would be done on a router supporting five dedicated networks based on the tags.

Consumer routers and typical ISP CPE routers don't support such a configuration. 

Message 2 of 5
NetworkN00b2021
Aspirant

Re: Connecting multiple VLANS to internet through single port connected to router on JGS524PE

NetworkSetup - Copy.png

This is what I'm trying to achieve.  Other posts indicated a router on a stick or VLANs with shared Internet access via static routes options.

Message 3 of 5
NetworkN00b2021
Aspirant

This is what I'm trying to achieve.  Other posts indicated a router on a stick or VLANs with shared Internet access via static routes options.

NetworkSetup - Copy.jpg

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@NetworkN00b2021,

Is your ISP CTE Router a combination of modem and router? 

Does your ISP CTE Router supports VLAN?  If not, you will need a firewall router that supports VLAN so that each VLAN can have its own DHCP server.  

From the network setup you have provided, it would be best that you replace your JGS524PE with a switch that supports VLAN Routing such as GC728XP.  To know more about the specifications of the GC728XP, kindly check its data sheet here

Also, since I suggested the GC728XP (it belongs to the Smart Managed Pro Switch Family), you may want to check other NETGEAR Business Switch Models that might fit your network requirements:

NETGEAR Business Product Catalog Volume 20-3

Here's an article that might help you choose the right switch for your network needs:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements