× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DHCP issue with stacked switches and VLAN

mb_01
Follower

DHCP issue with stacked switches and VLAN

Hello,

I would appreciate some help with this problem I'm having.

My pfSense box is connected to a GS108 switch at port one. Port 2 of switch one connects to switch two at port 1. Port 3 of switch two is connected to my Unifi AP. I have enabled VLANs and they get passed through to my AP nicely, everything working fine. The first switch gets an IP address from the firewall. But for some reason, the second switch is unable to get an IP over DHCP. This also means I can not connect to the WebUI of my Unifi AP. The ports connecting the switches and AP are set to "trunked". PVID is set to 1 for all trunked ports. 

I'm no expert but I have been doing some reading on the forum and in the knowledgebase but I can not find the mistake I'm making. Also attached a little drawing to better understand the current setup.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advises 🙂

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Re: DHCP issue with stacked switches and VLAN

Hi @mb_01,

Welcome to community,

After check your network topology,  The easiest way is to configure all port pvids as VLAN 1.

Beacuse your DHCP server is "Pfsense" and it just only can assign ip address to device or pc with vlan id "1".

If you need to make your network use different vlans, each vlan needs to be subnetted with different IP addresses and your "pfSense" deivce supports it. 

View solution in original post

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 2 of 2

All Replies
kevin_hong
Apprentice

Re: DHCP issue with stacked switches and VLAN

Hi @mb_01,

Welcome to community,

After check your network topology,  The easiest way is to configure all port pvids as VLAN 1.

Beacuse your DHCP server is "Pfsense" and it just only can assign ip address to device or pc with vlan id "1".

If you need to make your network use different vlans, each vlan needs to be subnetted with different IP addresses and your "pfSense" deivce supports it. 

Model: GS108T|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements