× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Default Vlan not making it to the Net

AP514
Tutor

Default Vlan not making it to the Net

I have several Vlans on my Switch..all are working(at least the ones I have something hooked to)

I have the switch connected to an ER-4. I have all Vlans TRUNKING thru port 24.

My problem is.......... I have 2 ports that are still on the default 1 Vlan. The Config is like this

Port 4,7 (untagged) with pvid 1.   I can not ping the router/net. w/set IP from router or a auto Dhcp.

Question is should the 1 Vlan have a "T" on  port 24(Trunk) 

Why can I not get my default/untagged ports access to the NET ??

The reason why I am trying to use the default is because I tried to use my old wifi router as an access port on Vlan 30. But  i get could not get IP msg. I verified the connect to the Wifi is good. I used my laptop set to Vlan 30 static ip range)

but when i set static ip on (wifi) Lan in the ip range I get no connection.

I read/heard someplace that a wifi access point will not work on a VLAN. ?

Model: GS728TPPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
AP514
Tutor

Re: Default Vlan not making it to the Net

Well, Thanks for the information about Me haveing to give a more informative set of ports and setups/Configs. I will remember it for my next set of Questions.

I was taking screens of all my connects on the ER4 Router and of how I have my Switch configured to Post here....

I figured a picture would be alot better than me trying to explain what I was seeing for Configuration. 

Well, While taking Screens in my Router, I saw my PROBLEM..

Vlan 30 my IOT I had thought I had set my DHCP range smaller...had it all the way up to XX.254  So when I was trying to set my Wifi as an access point.(Static IP it was in the Vlan 30 DHCP range) I adjusted the Wifi outside the DHCP range and all is Working Great.

So,1 problem down...

As Far as the Vlan 1 ports not working..I will return maybe this weekend with more questions and better info on my Configs

(as you suggested).

Thanks for your help and support on these Forums

View solution in original post

Model: GS728TPPv2|24-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE+ Smart Managed Pro Switch with 4 SFP Ports (380W)
Message 6 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Consumer routers rarely support VLANs and make in general not very good wireless access points.

Said that - for such a device you configure an access port as yu would do for a normal computer, untagged VLAN, VLAN ID and PVID the same. 

You state the VLAN for the wireless is 30 - why do you try ports configured for VLAN 1? As-is you get nothing because the VLAN 1 might not be configued on your router at all, or the VAN 1 isn't properly configured on the trunk. Only VLAN 30 is for the WLAN, isn't it?.

Message 2 of 6
AP514
Tutor

The OLD Router I am using as an Access Point--WiFI  is NOT VLAN aware.

The New -Actual Router is an Edgemax ER-4..very much Vlan aware.

As far as the Config for Vlan 30..I have it listed above......and I can hook up my Computer to that VLAN 30 RJ45 connect and get internet but when I connect my WIFI to the same RJ45 end point I can not. can not get IP (Maybe it is not getting DHCP info?)

From schumaku

"Said that - for such a device you configure an access port as you would do for a normal computer, untagged VLAN, VLAN ID and PVID the same." This is why I was going try to use the Default Ports. They are untagged, listed in default VLAN and default PVID.

I was not sure if Port 24(trunk) had to Have a "U" or "T" for the Default to be able to get to router. PORT 24 is the port Connecting to my Router on Eth 1.       Eth 0= Wan,  Eth 1= Lan to Port 24 on Switch

Should Not  ALL the Defualt ports/untagged be able to get a "IP"  from the router ? I Had Eth1 set up Dhcp(Auto) and also setup as a Static IP...No connect to those default ports.

I am just trying to get the Wife Wifi..Wife is not happy no one is happy  😛

Message 3 of 6
AP514
Tutor

OH also a Note on VLAN 30...it has more than just the WIFI on it..it is more of a IOT VLAN.

VLAN30 has several ports.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

1. Tell us on how this port you are testing the VLAN 30 access is configured. All details please. Even if it's possible to configure a network adapter (e.g. on the test computer for using a VLAN ID tag) dont use this - that's not the way to configure an access port for a VLAN.  

2. How should the interested reader know on how your firewall trunk is configured on the router when it comes to the VLAN 1 (tagged or not)? The switch side port VLAN config must reflect the same configuration you have on the firewall. Here again, all deatails please. In case there is nothing in place for the VLAN 1, there can't be anything on the port configured to the default VLAN.

3. The default VLAN is not something any unknown traffic is sent to - it's yet another VLAN.

4. A port configured as a VLAN access port eg. for this AP or for  a computer must be again untagged to fit that router/AP. Note some of these devices support only one Ethernet LAN port in AP mode.

5. Just to avoid the basic trap - your switch must be configured in VLAN -> 802.1q -> advanced mode. 

Message 5 of 6
AP514
Tutor

Well, Thanks for the information about Me haveing to give a more informative set of ports and setups/Configs. I will remember it for my next set of Questions.

I was taking screens of all my connects on the ER4 Router and of how I have my Switch configured to Post here....

I figured a picture would be alot better than me trying to explain what I was seeing for Configuration. 

Well, While taking Screens in my Router, I saw my PROBLEM..

Vlan 30 my IOT I had thought I had set my DHCP range smaller...had it all the way up to XX.254  So when I was trying to set my Wifi as an access point.(Static IP it was in the Vlan 30 DHCP range) I adjusted the Wifi outside the DHCP range and all is Working Great.

So,1 problem down...

As Far as the Vlan 1 ports not working..I will return maybe this weekend with more questions and better info on my Configs

(as you suggested).

Thanks for your help and support on these Forums

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements