Highlighted
Aspirant

FS728TS won't button factory reset

Hi All,

Thanks for reading this post.  Please help.

I bought 3 Netgear FS728TS managed switches at a charity event so I am not the

original owner.  I factory reset all 3 units with the factory reset button on the lower right.  Then I downloaded and ran the SmartWizard Discovery software and the device web portal at 192.168.0.239 to update the boot to version 1.0.0.08 and the software version to v3.1.01 on all 3 switches.  Each unit configured with DHCP and in stack mode and unit nos set to 1, 2, and 3.  All good until now.  Then I connected patch cables between them, ports 25 and 28.  Then I reset all 3 units with a paper clip in the reset button on lower left front.  Now the sad part.  Unit 3 is still fine and I can access it the the web portal.  But I cannot access units 1 and 2 now.  I tried their new assigned IP addresses but no luck.  So I followed Netgear instructions at 

https://kb.netgear.com/24679/How-do-I-reset-a-smart-switch-to-factory-default-settings to factory reset them but still no luck.  Unplugged the patch cables.  On power up they both show unit 0 then they show unit 1, then 0, then 1, they seem stuck in a loop.  I cannot connect to their web portals at 192.168.0.239 and the SmartWizard Discovery software does not discover them.  I'm bummed.  

Thanks for reading my woefulness.  Any instruction, advice, opinions are welcome.

Message 1 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: FS728TS won't button factory reset

@CtlAltDel,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Try to disconnect Units 1 and 2 from the existing stack then try to set them up as standalone switches.  Check if both switches will boot up normally and if you will be able to access their web-GUi.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for your suggestion.

I followed your instructions.  There are no cables connected to units 1 and 2 except the one from my laptop when I try to access the web portal on each unit.  I powered off both units, left them off overnight, then powered them on today.  I cannot access the web portal on either unit. 

The green power light stays on always on both units 1 and 2.  Both units flash all their port leds yellow for just a second and report their unit number as 1 for 6 seconds.  Then the Stack Master light turns green.  3 seconds later, then the unit number changes from 1 to 0, the Stack Master light remains green for 55 seconds for unit 1, and for 125 seconds for unit 2.  After the 55 seconds for unit 1 and the 125 seconds for unit 2 then all the port leds flash yellow again and the above is repeated continuously.

Thank you more.

Message 3 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@CtlAltDel,

Since you have disconnected Units 1 and 2 from the stack, try to connect a PC directly either Units 1 and 2.  Then, set a static IP address of 192.168.0.210 on the PC and try to ping the default IP address of Units 1 and 2 which is 192.168.0.239.  Are you able to get replies?  

If you are not able to get replies, try the steps below:

1. Get a straightened paper clip.

2. Insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole of Unit 1.  Then, press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

3. After 30 seconds, turn off the Unit 1 while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for 5 seconds.

4. After 5 seconds, turn on the Unit 1 while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for another 5 seconds.

5. After 5 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Check if the Unit 1 will boot up properly.

6. Check if you will get replies when you ping the default IP address.

7. Repeat all steps on Unit 2. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for more instructions.

I followed them exactly and tried several times.

I am not able to connect to the web portal on either unit.

They continue to behave exactly as before alternating their unit id displays between 0 and 1.

Thanks more.

Message 5 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@CtlAltDel,

I apologize for the late response.  Let us try the steps below:

1.  Since we have tried to power reset both Units 1 & 2, can you try to connect Unit 1 directly to a router.  By default, the FS728TS is a DHCP client so it should acquire an IP Address.

2.  Connect a PC directly to Unit 1. If you have the Smartwizard Utility installed on your PC, check if it will discover the FS728TS.  You can download the Smartwizard Utility v2.5.5 here

3.  If the Smartwizard Utility has discovered the FS728TS, check if you are able to login to its web-GUI.

4.  Do the same steps above on Unit 2. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for your reply with additional instructions.  I followed each of your 4 steps as you instructed.  The result is the same for both units.  The router does not assign an IP address to either unit.  I also checked the router dhcp assignments list.  No new IP assignments listed there.  The SmartWizard utility does not discover either unit.  The port light on the switch, for my cable from my laptop, only just blinks yellow, never green.  Both units 1 and 2 continue to behave exactly as I described in message 3 above.

In the meantime, I have read other postings for other Netgear switches suggesting different paperclip holding times for factory resetting the switch.  I have tried them all. No luck.  

Also, I found a Netgear FS700TS User manual on the internet.  In the section on stacking units it says "If a unit attempts to boot without a selected Master, and the unit is not operating in stand-alone mode, the unit does not boot."  So, I reconnected the units to each other as I originally had them and power cycled them all at once - but it made no difference. Units 1 and 2 just continue to behave as in message 3 above.  However, in simple terms, it sounds plausible that units 1 and 2 are stuck in a mode demanding to reconnect with their master (unit 3).  I powered off units 1 and 2 for a full day (24+ hours) hoping they might loose their charged up memories of their master unit 3, but no luck there.  Silly, I know ... but my crossed fingers, my regular magic incantations, and mojo aren't working either.  I had such good luck initially setting up each unit and updating their firmware that it leaves me with the impression that the units (hardware) are just fine but that I need to just get units 1 and 2 unstuck and then I'll be back to happiness.

Thanks more

Message 7 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@CtlAltDel,

I apologize for the late response.  I will inquire your concern to the higher tier of NETGEAR Support on what further troubleshooting steps can be done.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Thanks !

Message 9 of 11
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

@CtlAltDel,

I got a feedback from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  According to them, it seems that Units 1 & 2 are somewhat stuck in a mode wherein they are looking for the master.  Here are the suggested procedure below:

1. Connect Units 1 & 2 to Unit 3 again on the ports they were originally connected on - ports 25 and 28 (as per your initial post).

2. As Unit 3 is reset to factory defaults, stacking should be enabled.  You will need to set those ports to stacking mode as those are combo ports.  Re-enable stacking on those ports and to set that unit 3 to stack master.

3. Make sure that he configures unit 3 to be master using Force Master option.  Kindly check the FS728TS user manual on section 3 page 7 - https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/fs728ts_fs752ts_sw_admin.pdf

Hoping that Units 1 and 2 will find the stack master 3 and rejoin the stack.  Once stacking is configured on Unit 3, if the other 2 switches doesn't join automatically,  power off all 3 switches, then power them on one by one beginning with the master 3, then 2 then 1.  If this doesn't work, I'm afraid the units are bricked.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 11
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hi DaneA,

Thank you for the new instructions.  I followed them but alas, no luck.  I think I am talented to have bricked two units at once.  Oh well, I will be cautious, gentle, and very deliberate in each step when working with Netgear products in the future.  Thank you again for your quick responses and all your help DaneA, you rock !!!

CtlAltDel

Message 11 of 11
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements