× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS-108Tv2 Firmware upgrade hanging at 22% or less completed

Dantech-1
Tutor

GS-108Tv2 Firmware upgrade hanging at 22% or less completed

I have tried previously to firmware upgrade my switch unsuccessfully.  Tonight I was determined to give it another go.  I did the following:

- Used the recommended SCC (Smart Control Centre) software version 1.1.3.2

- Discovered the switch IP which was in my subnet, IP address 192.168.2.42

- Used my PC  with IP address 192.168.2.16 and clicked on Maintenance/Firmware and Download Firmware. 

- To see the progress you have to click on the Task tab!

-  The firmware started to download but hung at 22% and after a while I had to quit.  Fortunately no damage done.

I did this a few times but it refused to download.

Then I thought "my computer is plugged into an HP switch and the Netgear is plugged into the same switch which are on my domain"

I decided to try just connecting the laptop directly to the Netgear switch and see if it worked.

Success - it upgraded first time perfectly.  The lesson learnt was don't firmware upgrade through another switch - do it directly.

I hope this helps someone else.

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Dantech-1
Tutor

Re: GS-108Tv2 Firmware upgrade hanging at 22% or less completed

This worked - to firmware upgrade you should connect a LAN cable directly to the switch, do not plug in anything else and keep it off the network.  Install the SCC software on the PC connected to the switch.  Also ensure both the switch and PC are in the same subnet or the switch warns you and gives you chance to quit.

Problem solved - I first tried this months ago but gave up.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Dantech-1
Tutor

This worked - to firmware upgrade you should connect a LAN cable directly to the switch, do not plug in anything else and keep it off the network.  Install the SCC software on the PC connected to the switch.  Also ensure both the switch and PC are in the same subnet or the switch warns you and gives you chance to quit.

Problem solved - I first tried this months ago but gave up.

Message 2 of 3
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dantech-1, 

Thank you for sharing the solution. We appreciate your help! 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements