× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Ev3 Management VLAN tagged

agregson
Aspirant

GS108Ev3 Management VLAN tagged

Hi,

I have 6 smart switches - 3 GS108Ev3, 1 GS108PEv3, 1 GS116Ev2 and 1 JGS561PE. Super switches and work flawlessly. Basic management which is fine for SME setting.

Switches are connected to form a single L2 network. For now it has operated with one L3 network. I would like to add several L2 VLANs. All worked fine with 802.1q as expected.

One hitch. Switches interconnect using first and last ports to form a chain. I can add two more VLANs (in this case just 2 and 3) and mark as tagged on link ports and set as untagged for client ports with PVID set accordinly. All works fine. If I add tagged VLAN 1 on link ports and remove untagged VLAN 1 then I lose access to management interface for non-local switches - I can see direct switch but not linked. All other access continues as normal and can see tagged/untagged clients in VLAN1 but not swithces.

Can anyone point me at either a fix or limitation? If this is a limitation of the (admittedly entry level) swithces then that is fine as they are not costly and I have to expect some limits. Otherwise if anyone can help so I have the trunk links with tagged packets only then I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

A

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108Ev3 Management VLAN tagged

It does not matter if you own one or hundreds i'm afraid: The management VLAN feature isn't available (except on very few Smart Managed Plus 10GbE models built on managed cores), and unlikely to become available.

It is correct is that the microcontroller is listening to untagged traffic only - this is not limited to VLAN 1 (hard to say on an untagged frame anyway - it's on whatever port untagged traffic is coming in, lack of a VLAN tag.

There is no issue with running multi VLAN trunks - just keep the normal management VLAN (typically VLAN 1) untagged. Perfectly sufficient for an entry level switch as you already said.

Message 2 of 4
agregson
Aspirant

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

Sorry if my original was unclear. I was not suggesting the number i own would make a difference just offering an outline of my network. I have used Netgear for many years and really like them. In business I used the higher-spec switches for installations at client sites but for my own I need little more than basic though I always like managed so I can at least see some stats and have option for basic VLAN functions.

Your answer clarifies what I had suspected. All of my testing and packet sniffing suggested that it was untagged packets the microcontroller listened and responded to. I was able to see that if I have an untagged port in a L3 VLAN that is trunked via tagged ports to a network that had L3 the device would communicate with the LAN as planned. I also found adding the IP of the switch (outside the network range) also meant the switch responded.

That is not a problem. I just need to make sure I have VLAN1 untagged linked between all ports. A workaround for me is to move the primary network to another VLAN leaving 1 as managed only then just push a management computer (or second IP) into the range to manage switches.

Thanks for responding and clarifying. Much appreciated.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@agregson wrote:

I just need to make sure I have VLAN1 untagged linked between all ports. A workaround for me is to move the primary network to another VLAN leaving 1 as managed only then just push a management computer (or second IP) into the range to manage switches.

No need - if you want to use your primary work VLAN for the Smart Manged Plus access, just ensure this is the one you bring over the trunk untagged. It does not have to be the VLAN 1...

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements