× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108Ev3 Port Trunking

ZSasha
Aspirant

GS108Ev3 Port Trunking

Hello,

Could someone explain please, is trunking available for GS108Ev3 switch?

I read specs and datasheet and for 8 ports model it says "Link Aggregation/Port Trunkin" - NO and only supported on 16 ports model.

But at the same time the switch does support multiple VLANs so my question - how is it possible to support a few VLANs but not a Trunking?

If I connect a few GS108Ev3 switches together - would I be able to pass ALL VLANs from switch A to switch B over a SINGLE PORT so all ethernet frames will keep their current VLAN labels intact? (that how "stadard" trunk work works)

If the asnwer is "NO" - should I go with GS108T instead?

There a few posts in this formus asking about that but none were answered.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS108Ev3 Port Trunking

Hi ZSasha,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If you connect 2 GS108Ev3 switches together, you can set the ports of each switch as a tagged port (trunk port).  Kindly read pages 49-50 of the GS108Ev3 user manual here.

The GS108Ev3 switch does not support LAG (Link Aggregation) while the GS108Tv2 supports LAG.  

ProSAFE Gigabit Web Managed Plus Switches (such as GS108Ev3) gives user the flexibility to configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering. 

On the other hand, ProSAFE Smart Switches (such as GS108Tv2)  has many of the benefits of a managed switch without the complexity or cost of a fully managed switch. With a smart switch, you can monitor ports, configure trunks, and set prioritization, all with an intuitive Web interface.  A smart switch has more capability than an plus switch, but not all that of a fully managed switch. 

Kindly check the GS108Tv2 data sheet here

I would prefer the GS108Tv2 over the GS108Ev3.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ZSasha,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

If you connect 2 GS108Ev3 switches together, you can set the ports of each switch as a tagged port (trunk port).  Kindly read pages 49-50 of the GS108Ev3 user manual here.

The GS108Ev3 switch does not support LAG (Link Aggregation) while the GS108Tv2 supports LAG.  

ProSAFE Gigabit Web Managed Plus Switches (such as GS108Ev3) gives user the flexibility to configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering. 

On the other hand, ProSAFE Smart Switches (such as GS108Tv2)  has many of the benefits of a managed switch without the complexity or cost of a fully managed switch. With a smart switch, you can monitor ports, configure trunks, and set prioritization, all with an intuitive Web interface.  A smart switch has more capability than an plus switch, but not all that of a fully managed switch. 

Kindly check the GS108Tv2 data sheet here

I would prefer the GS108Tv2 over the GS108Ev3.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ZSasha,

I just want to follow-up on this.  Let us know if you have further questions.

Otherwise, if ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
ZSasha
Aspirant

This is exactly what I wanted, thank you!!

Message 4 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@ZSasha,

You're welcome! 🙂 

Since your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements