× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS108PEv2 Power Failure

mkpotluri
Aspirant

GS108PEv2 Power Failure

Switch was working until I have changed the uplink coming in (from antoher GS108Tv3 managed switch) from Port-8 to Port-1. I have heard a second click besides the RJ45 clicking in from within the switch and the power has shutdown. I verified, the power supply itself is good, showing 48V DC output. However, the switch doesn't show any power on it when plugged-in.

Plugging in uplink to Port-1 didn't seem wrong - it came from port-5 of another GS108, has no PoE on it. I am unfamiliar if Prosafe GS108PEv2 forbid such connection - any insight into why this would have happened, and if there is any way I can recover this switch is highly appreciated...

Model: GS108PEv2|8 ports ProSafe Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mkpotluri,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I verified, the power supply itself is good, showing 48V DC output. However, the switch doesn't show any power on it when plugged-in.

It is strange that the switch suddenly got faulty.  I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly indicate what happened.   Be ready to submit a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS108PEv2 for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

There is nothing prohibiting such a connection - reads like bad luck.

Message 2 of 5
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@mkpotluri,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

I verified, the power supply itself is good, showing 48V DC output. However, the switch doesn't show any power on it when plugged-in.

It is strange that the switch suddenly got faulty.  I suggest you to open a support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime.  Kindly indicate what happened.   Be ready to submit a soft copy of the Proof of Purchase or Sales Invoice of the GS108PEv2 for warranty verification.  If the hardware warranty is still valid, an online replacement will be processed. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 5
mkpotluri
Aspirant

Thanks for the responses.

I noticed one thing I have ignored in the last two days - Switch itself is functional, PoE is not working. I was ignoring blinking lights on the ports and focused only on the PoE status lights on the front panel - perhaps fixated too much on getting my desk phone working with PoE.

It looks something *tripped* or *cut* the power to PoE..

It's weird that this happened when I tried to move the upstream from port-8 (non-PoE) to Port-1 (PoE), and the upstream came from GS108T's Port-3 which has no special characteristic and must have been a permissible change.

Message 4 of 5
mkpotluri
Aspirant

I did not know this switch carried life time warranty on hardware. I have called the support, and it was replaced.

One thing that still keep me puzzled about this failure - simply switching the uplink cable from one port to another took the power away from PoE (from the switch entirely). However, switch itself was fully functional with ethernet working just as expected. Note that the uplink is fed from another GS108T - so I wasn't expecting there to be a fidelity or compatibility mismatch although there could be.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements