× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS108T disables destination port when mirroring enabled.

SE_Eng
Aspirant

GS108T disables destination port when mirroring enabled.

For years I have been using port mirroring to monitor traffic from devices while developing software. This works perfectly with my Netgear GS116v2 switch and others I have used in the past.  My GS108t, however, disables the destination port when I enable port mirroring.   Is there some setting I need to enable to allow port mirroring and keep my destination port working for its own network traffic. I have been using this feature for over 10 years so it seems odd that Netgear switches are no longer capable of this. 

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS108T disables destination port when mirroring enabled.

It's interesting - just had a talk these days with a Netgear engineer why a mirror destination port remains active, as spotted this oddity on another new Netgear swicth. In my eyes a complete mess and not of a big practical value having both active and mirror traffic on a port for most use case.

This will become an interesting discusion now.

Message 2 of 3
SE_Eng
Aspirant

Re: GS108T disables destination port when mirroring enabled.

I suppose it depends on what you are using the switch for. For me and our development team it is a must have feature,  In very simplified terms, I need to be able to use my development computer as a device and monitor traffic on remote devices while developing and debugging software. I have been doing this for many years with different switches and this Netgear is the first one I have come across that disables the mirrored port.  

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements