× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS110EMX - using ports 9 or 10 to link switches in a ring

colclark
Aspirant

GS110EMX - using ports 9 or 10 to link switches in a ring

Hello,

I'm wondering about how to use the GS110EMX 9/10 port to link 3 switches to each other to facilitate access to my internet from throughout a building.  

I'd like to attach wifi access points to the switches, and also cabled access and have that flow back to the switch with the internet router attched.

So my question is can I use ports 9 / 10 for this, and if so, how should I do that?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: GS110EMX - using ports 9 or 10 to link switches in a ring

Yes, of course you can.

The "how" depends widely on the ability on how to cable your property making up the network structure, for a daisy chain of these three switches or to set-up a central location with a bigger patch panel where the majority of rooms or areas can be covered with one or better two network cable (one for PoE access point, one for a local switch). And then the bandwidth requirements or expectation for the in-house traffic, as port 9 and 10 on the GS110EMX are MultiGig ports able so drive Gigabit, 2.5Gb/s, 5 Gb/s and 10 Gb/s links.

Message 2 of 5
colclark
Aspirant

Yes, thank you, what I'm looking for specifically is the configuration for ports 9 and 10 given 3 switches hooked together in a ring if I use ports 9 and 10 to connect them.

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Unless you run VLANs it's plain plug and play - except of this:

The GS110EMX is a lightly configureable switch core, there is no STP, RSTP, or MST - it can't participate in a network with redundant ring layout.

So either some dasy chain...

#9 <-> switch 91 <-> switch 92 <-> switch 93  

#10<-> switch 101 <-> switch 102 <-> switch 103  

...or hub and spoke...

#9 <-> switch 91 <-> switch 92

<-> switch 93  

#10<-> switch 101 <-> switch 102

<-> switch 103 

sorry, missed the subject "ring"

#9 <-> switch 91 <-> switch 92 <-> switch 93  <-> #10 can't be done (as mentioned above - all switches would require STP [obsolete], RSTP, or MST for a multi VLAN ring design)

Message 4 of 5
colclark
Aspirant

Thank you.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements