GS116Ev2 Firmware v 2.0.1.40 Bug: can't login from Chrome 64

Retired_Member
Not applicable

GS116Ev2 Firmware v 2.0.1.40 Bug: can't login from Chrome 64

Can't login using Chrome after update to Firmware Version 2.0.1.40.

The password box doesn't load in the http://<switchIP>/login.htm page. Under "Login" there is just a grey rectangle.

Chrome 64 bit: 58.0.3029.110 ()
Windows 10 64 Bit

Worked before update.  Works in Edge, just not Chrome.

Did they add some kind of Adobe Flash depedency to the login box perhaps?

Tried to report this to Netgear via support page: https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx & the page is broken - shows this message:

A fatal server error occured and has been emailed to support personel.

[sic]

All in all, not an encouraging start for this new user experience:

1. The firmware update broke browser compatibility for the most commonly used browser

2. The support page has a bug

3. They can't even spell "occurred" or "personnel".

Should I just return it and buy from another manufacturer?

Model: GS116Ev2|ProSAFE Plus 16-port Gigabit Switch
Message 1 of 12
XavierLL
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: GS116Ev2 Firmware v 2.0.1.40 Bug: can't login from Chrome 64

HI Kc1

I just tried with one of our GS116Ev2 here and I haven't been able to reproduce the issue with the same chrome version but is working fine chrome.pngchromeversion.png

Could you check your chrome settings and update your caching that could be two potential causes of the issue?

Moreover we haven't seen any outage in our https://www.netgear.com/support/contact.aspx that I am aware, however just checked now and it's live.

Please let us know if that helps!

Xavier Lleixa

NETGEAR CBU PLM

Message 2 of 12
BobS9
Aspirant

Just updated a clients switch today and IE-11 worked initially but not after the update. Blank rectangle on login page where the username and password are supposed to be entered.

Also, the latest version of the ProSAFE utility found the router okay but timed out trying to do the fw update.  Tried numerous times and it timed out every time.  Switched to IE-11 and it worked.

So now we can't access the router using a browser and the utility doesn't update.  I didn't try Chrome or Firefox. 

Gotta wonder how they keep in business doing this sort of crap.

Message 3 of 12
roddines
Aspirant

I have just experienced the same problem with a brand new GS116Ev2 switch.   Worked fine on v2.0.1.24 now after an upgrade via browser interface to v2.0.1.40 I can't log in again with Chrome browser Version 59.0.3071.115 (Official Build) (64-bit).  

On the http://192.168.1.<IP>/login.htm I also get the same empty square in Login as described.

But going to Chrome -Incognito or another browser such as Opera and Firefox it works fine.

So there is some problem with Chrome caching (not to say I am surprised as Chrome is notorious for caching issues).  Attempting to clear the site specific cache did not appear to fix the problem.  I am not prepared to remove all cache and restart Chrome as I have over 300 web pages open right now (Researcher) but suspect that may work also.

Hope that helps someone else.

Message 4 of 12
whitekn3
Tutor

I am having the same problem after updating to 2.0.1.40.  Chrome (64 bit lastest  updates) will not let me login.  Edge (windows 10, all updates installed) will not let me login.  Downloaded, installed, and tried ProSafe utility.  It won't connect.   (ProSafe Utillity has never worked on Windows 10, even after multiple support calls when I first bought box.)  I was able to login with Firefox.

I would like to be able to use Chrome as I have bookmarks for all my network devices set up on it.  Unhappy camper! 

Message 5 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @whitekn3,

The latest version of Chrome currently is v61.0.3163.100 64-bit  and as far as I have checked, there is no issue logged yet about the concern as per described here in this forum thread. 

Since you have newly upgraded the firmware, were you able to perform a factory reset on the GS116Ev2 switch after upgrading the firmware?  If not yet, I suggest you to kindly perform a factory reset on your GS116Ev2 switch then reconfigure it from scratch in order to start clean using the latest firmware version 2.0.1.40.  Then, check if same problem occurs.  Let us know the result.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 12
whitekn3
Tutor

I just tried chrome again and it is working today, so it may have been a Chrome caching issue.  May also have been something in Win 10 updates, which were installed yesterday.  Who knows.

Message 7 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@whitekn3,

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm glad to know that it is working on Chrome.  Smiley Happy  

Since it is now working on Chrome, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 12
vodar
Aspirant

Hi,

My case is opposite. Getting blank login window without field for password in Firefox 56.0.2 (64-bit).
But the login field is successfully shown on  Chrome 64 bit 62.0.3202.94 and IE 11.0.9600.18230.
So can't login to the switch currently using only Chrome and IE.

GS116Ev2 with freshly updated to v2.0.1.40 althrough  login page issue appeared.

Message 9 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

@vodar,

Based from what you mentioned, it seemed that its a Firefox related issue not with the GS116Ev2 switch since you able to login using Chrome and IE. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 12
whitekn3
Tutor

This is why I never recommend or buy netgear anymore.  No matter what the response is always "It's not our fault."  Probably a "Firefox" or a "Chrome" issue that your own Netgear created software also does not work with Netgear switches.  Frankly, Netgear support is worthless.  Never solutions, only run arounds.

Message 11 of 12
DavidRPotter
Aspirant

This same thing happened to me in Safari on Mac Sierra after updating the firmware.  Using Chrome, I see the Login box with the Password textbox just fine because I hadn't navigated to the IP address of the switch before the update.  This was solved by removing all cached data for the site using the following steps:

1. Safari -> Preferences
  2. Click the Privacy tab
  3. Click the "Manage Website Data..." button"
  4. Type the first part of the IP address (e.g. 192)
  5. Select the IP address of the site
  6. Click the Remove button
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements