GS324TP Auto-VoIP: is it working?

jrodda
Aspirant

GS324TP Auto-VoIP: is it working?

Hi all, newbie question here so bear with me. My goal is to prioritize VoIP traffic on our network.

Went to Switching->AutoVoIP, set Prioritization to traffic class, class type 3. (I don't understand why 3 is better than 0,1,or 2, or why I should use Traffic Class over Remark.)

Went to VLAN->Basic and created a new VLAN called Phones at ID 2.

Enabled AutoVoIP for all ports. Clicked Apply. Operational status says UP for all ports.

When I go to Auto->VoIP the Auto-VoIP VLAN ID says 2, but Number of Voice Channels Detected remains at 0, suggesting I've maybe not accomplished anything.

We have two phones on the network and they've both made incoming and received outgoing calls.

Am I doing any good with this process?

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 8
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS324TP Auto-VoIP: is it working?

@jrodda,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Let me share the article below I got from the higher tier of NETGEAR Support.  Kindly use it as your reference guide: 

Auto-VoIP and LLDP-MED Guide

Hope it helps.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team 

Message 2 of 8
jrodda
Aspirant

@DaneAThis is great information, thank you! The process in this PDF covers a few things that aren't immediately clear from reading the switch's manual.

I followed these steps and the setup looks correct, but now our phones can't seem to get an IP address from our switch. Any idea why this might be?

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Well, is there anything else on the newly created voice VLAN except of the switch and the phones? This makes only sense of you have e.g. an IPPBX or a cloud IPPBX served on a dedicated network (e.g. a VOIP provider router, a provider router with support for defined QoS tags, ...).

Message 4 of 8
jrodda
Aspirant

There are no other devices on the newly created voice VLAN (10) besides the switch and the phones.

Other devices (printers, computers, etc) are on VLAN 1.

Message 5 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@jrodda wrote:

There are no other devices on the newly created voice VLAN (10) besides the switch and the phones.

So how should the phones receive an IP, and reach the Internet/VoIP provider?

Message 6 of 8
jrodda
Aspirant

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your original post. I'm very new at this so please forgive my ignorance.

The switch is connected to a firewall, and the firewall is in turn connected to a cable modem. My understanding is that the phones should be getting their IPs with DHCP from the switch.

Now that I think this through it makes sense that I need to add the firewall's port to the Voice VLAN. Is that true?

Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

A VLAN is by definition a logical network, a dedicated broadcast domain, and has a dedicated IP subnet. This is what you have configured now. Except that there is no DHCP server or a default gateway.

No idea where/how these IP phones are connecting to - in general the connection does run over the provider network, then out to the wild Internet. Typically, there are QoS measures in place, and not run on a dedicated VLAN. Not much your set-up is useful for then I'm afraid.

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements