× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GS324TP becomes undiscoverable when connected to a router

agawad
Aspirant

GS324TP becomes undiscoverable when connected to a router

Hey all,

I recently set up a GS324TP through its web UI, gave it a static IP, configured VLANs, hooked it up to my router and access points, and rebooted. Everything seems to be working fine, the internet connectivity is perfect, the VLANs are working fine, the access points are powered up. and so on. The only issue that the switch seems to have "gone off the map" so to speak.

I cannot ping it at its static IP. Nor has it taken any other DHCP lease (I checked).

The NSDT is unable to detect it on my local network.

The proSAFE utility is unable to detect it on my local network.

This is bizarre. If I disconnect it from my router, I can briefly access the web UI at its static IP, but the connection is quickly lost again.

Any ideas what could be happening here? Even though it's working fine now, I will need to access its webUI at some point, and I'm not sure how! 

Model: GS324TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 24-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
agawad
Aspirant

Re: GS324TP becomes undiscoverable when connected to a router

Forgot all about this thread - in case anyone was wondering, it turns out I had forgotten to change the Management VLAN ID from the default 1 to another working VLAN. VLAN 1 was reserved for my router, which is why it was conflicting with my router. Once I changed the Management VLAN ID everything worked perfectly. Cat LOL

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @agawad 

Welcome to Community!

Could you please share your IP setting configuration screenshot and network topology? Does your computer connect to the switch directly?

Do you mean the swich will change to unreachable once connect to Router? If disconnect to Router, then it will be rachable? Both two scenario, switch with static IP?

We need more defailed information to debug this problem.

Regards,

Eric

Message 2 of 5
scalextrix
Aspirant

I am having a similar problem, my JGS524PE works, but after a short time the IP address becomes unreachable, an arp -a doesnt show it connected to the network.

Its still switches and the config works, VLANs are working etc. but it becomes impossible to manage the switch.
Model: JGS524PE|ProSafe Plus 24 ports switch with PoE
Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@scalextrix wrote:
I am having a similar problem, my JGS524PE works, but after a short time the IP address becomes unreachable, an arp -a doesnt show it connected to the network.

Before your computer can establish a connection by IPv4 on the LAN, it has to find the Link Layer address by doing an ARP lookup. This will add the ARP entry to the dynamic ARP list. If your local IP stack does not have any communication with the switch embedded controller over IP for a the "Reachable" time (30 sec multiplied by a random factor between 0.5 and 1.5) the ARP entry does become "stale". Before being able to connect by IP again, another ARP query must be sent. If the query isn't resolved, the connection can't be established. Further on, each IP stack has a garbage collector which is run under some conditions, e.g. the max length of the ARP table is reached, an/or on a regular schedule.

If your local computer does not have a dynamic ARP entry (by checking arp -a), this does no indication that the device is not connected on the LAN.

If at the same time the discovery utility (using the NDST protocol) can't discover the switch, this could be caused by a similar reason.

In common is that ARP and NDST are sending frames to a broadcast MAC ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff. If there is something prohibiting or killing this communication from the local host to the device (here the switch), things will simply not work - neither the discovery can succeed, nor the IPv4 connection can be established.

Can you define this "short time"?

Will the switch be reachable short after booting, but then after a time no longer?

What devices are in the data patch from the computer to the switch?

Does the discovery tool and web UI access work on a computer (ideally the same) when connected direct to the switch? 

More for curiosity, what is the switch controller IPv4 config (address, mask, ...)?

Message 4 of 5
agawad
Aspirant

Forgot all about this thread - in case anyone was wondering, it turns out I had forgotten to change the Management VLAN ID from the default 1 to another working VLAN. VLAN 1 was reserved for my router, which is why it was conflicting with my router. Once I changed the Management VLAN ID everything worked perfectly. Cat LOL

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements