× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS516TP IPv6 ACLs with non static /56 from ISP

keschrich
Follower

GS516TP IPv6 ACLs with non static /56 from ISP

Background - I'm redoing my home network and need a >=16 port Gigabit switch with PoE. I do have multiple subnets/VLANs and would love for the switch to take over some of the internal routing so I have one less bottleneck. Being an IT guy myself, I hate any non-CLI interface, but I'm not willing to pony up the money for a fully managed switch, so I guess I'm stuck with a web GUI..

I intend to set up IPv6, mostly just so I can more familiarize myself with it. My ISP will offer me a /56, but so far as I understand its not exactly static.

SO- when setting up ACL's for routing traffic between my VLANs, how do I handle this? Is it possible to mask all but the last 8 bits of the IPv6 subnet so that the /56 portion is taken out of the equation? Can the switch receive the RA's from my router and therefore automatically adjust to whatever /56 I've been assigned? OR do I use unique local addressing (a la RFC4193) for internal routing purposes?

Any input would be appreciated! Alternatively, if I should consider a different switch that will meet my needs in the ~$300 price range, that would be appreciated as well.

Model: GS516TP|ProSafe 16 ports PoE Smart switch
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi keschrich,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you wanted to setup ACL for routing traffic between your VLANs. The IPv6 will only be coming from your WAN and not on your LAN, so definitely, you can use any switch that supports POE. Unless, your router also supports IPv6 that broadcasts to LAN. You may use our switch selector in order for you to sort it and find the right switch that meets the needs of your network.

Here is our switch selector.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi keschrich,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

It seems that you wanted to setup ACL for routing traffic between your VLANs. The IPv6 will only be coming from your WAN and not on your LAN, so definitely, you can use any switch that supports POE. Unless, your router also supports IPv6 that broadcasts to LAN. You may use our switch selector in order for you to sort it and find the right switch that meets the needs of your network.

Here is our switch selector.

If ever your concern has been addressed or resolved, I encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The NETGEAR Community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements