× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS724Tv3 does not boot after firmware update

darrenscott
Guide

GS724Tv3 does not boot after firmware update

I recently purchased another used GS724Tv3 switch from eBay (I already have 2 others) and was in the process of updating the firmware to the latest 5.4.2.25 version through the web GUI as I have done many times before because the firmware on this latest switch was very old (4.1.0.9 I think).

After downloading the 5.4.2.25 the firmware to image2 and setting that as the active image, on reboot the switch insisted on booting from image1 and the old 4.1.0.9 version so I then tried downloading the 5.4.2.25 firmware to image1 and rebooted again. This time the switch failed to boot and the power LED stays amber instead of green and now I can't get it to boot again.

I couldn't see any specific instructions or warnings about updating to this version of the firmware, and it is something I have done on both of my other GS724Tv3 switches so why did this latest switch experience problems? And how do I recover it?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Model: GS724Tv3|24-port ProSAFE Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
-c0de-
Tutor

I was in the same boat as you after bricking my GS724Tv3, and fortunately I found someone in the Netherlands who had a blog describing how to fix the issue. Netgear claims that there isn't a UART port on the device, but there actually is. Using a USB to TTL/Serial converter (runs you about $7 on Amazon), you can use a terminal program like PuTTy to access the switch, and flash over the original firmware for the device. From there, its a simple matter of using the GUI to work your way up the firmwares (making sure to flash all of the main revisions) and then you can get to the latest firmware.  

HERE is the link to that webpage. If for some reason the link fails, do a search for Duteweerd Elektronica Reparatieverslag - Netgear GS724T V3 (English) and you can find step by step instructions. 

View solution in original post

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 10 of 16

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darrenscott,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

It is not recommended to update the firmware from v4.1.0.9 then jump to the latest v5.4.2.25.  The boot code should be updated as well when transitioning from the v4.x.x.x firmware to the v5.x.x.x firmware as indicated on this article.   For me, it is more advisable to update the firmware in a ladderized manner.  For example, since the current firmware is v4.1.0.9, you may update it to v4.2.0.11 then to v4.2.15 and so on until you reach the latest v5.4.2.25.  

Kindly try to perform a factory reset on the GS724Tv3 then check if it would boot up normally.  Observe the LED lights.  If ever it boots up normally, check if you could still access its web-GUI.  Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

Hi DaneA

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't aware of the limitations on upgrades to the firmware prior to attempting it - there is no mention of it in the release notes for 5.4.2.25, and I've never had any problems upgrading any previous GS724Tv3 switches I have. Had I known in advance I would have performed a stepped upgrade as suggested.

I've tried a factory reset on the switch several times and on restart it results in the power LED staying amber rather than green. I assume by factory reset you mean holding in the factory defaults button for a few seconds? If so, this appears to have no effect as the switch results in the amber power LED.

Is there anything else I can do to restore this switch to working order?

Thanks again for your assistance.

Regards

Darren

Message 3 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darrenscott,

Kindly try the steps below:

1. Disconnect the GS724Tv3 switch from your existing network and make sure its turned on.  Get a straightened paper clip.

2. Insert the paper clip to the factory defaults hole then press and hold the factory reset button inside it for 30 seconds.

3. After 30 seconds, turn off the GS724Tv3 switch while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for 5 seconds.

4. After 5 seconds, turn on the GS724Tv3 switch while you still continue to press and hold the factory reset button.  Wait for another 5 seconds.

5. After 5 seconds, release the paper clip from the factory reset button.  Check if the GS724Tv3 switch to boot up properly.  Observe the behavior of the LED lights.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

Hi again DaneA

Thanks for the detail instructions.

I have tried this 5 times just now, all with the same outcome...

- on powering on the switch, the power LED shows amber and all port lights are on (both green and amber)

- after a few seconds the port lights go out leaving just the amber power LED

- after a few more seconds all port lights come back on for a further few seconds

- the port lights then go out again leaving the amber power LED again

Are the steps you describe meant to restore the switch to a known state again? Can you think why following these steps is not having any effect?

Regards

Darren

Message 5 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darrenscott,

Based on what you have observed, it seems that the GS724Tv3 switch got bricked that is why it won't boot up normally.  You will need to have it replaced from the seller.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

Hi again and thanks for your continued assistance.

This is a used GS724Tv3 switch purchased on eBay, so there is no way I can get it replaced by the seller.

I find it amazing that it is possible to brick this switch by installing official firmware downloaded from the Netgear site, the release notes of which made no reference to having to perform the upgrade using any special instructions or installing earlier version of the firmware first! I have carried out the upgrade as instructed by Netgear yet it has left my switch bricked.

Is there really no way to recover this switch other than getting it replaced?

Do you work for Netgear or are you just a (very helpful) Netgear community member?

Do Netgear staff monitor these forums?

Regards

Darren

Message 7 of 16
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi darrenscott,

Other switches such as managed switches have a console port to recover it via hyperterminal but it still depends if the switch is recoverable.  The GS724Tv3 does not have a console port.  

As of now, I am a part of the community team of NETGEAR.  NETGEAR Staff does not really monitor the posts here in the community that is why often times if all of the possible troubleshooting steps has been suggested here and still having problems, we encourage community members to open an online case with NETGEAR Support for further assistance provided that the device is still within the support warranty.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

Hi DaneA

Thanks again for your reply.

However, as stated previously this switch was purchased used from eBay and is now well out of the warranty period, so I am fearful that NETGEAR won't help with this issue.

I still can't believe it is possible to brick the GS724Tv3 switch so easily even when using official firmware with no warnings or caveats and following the upgrade instructions provided. I haven't been negligent in any way yet my switch is now bricked.

I will try the official support channel and see how I get on.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards

Darren

Message 9 of 16
-c0de-
Tutor

I was in the same boat as you after bricking my GS724Tv3, and fortunately I found someone in the Netherlands who had a blog describing how to fix the issue. Netgear claims that there isn't a UART port on the device, but there actually is. Using a USB to TTL/Serial converter (runs you about $7 on Amazon), you can use a terminal program like PuTTy to access the switch, and flash over the original firmware for the device. From there, its a simple matter of using the GUI to work your way up the firmwares (making sure to flash all of the main revisions) and then you can get to the latest firmware.  

HERE is the link to that webpage. If for some reason the link fails, do a search for Duteweerd Elektronica Reparatieverslag - Netgear GS724T V3 (English) and you can find step by step instructions. 

Model: GS724T|24-port Gigabit Smart Switch
Message 10 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

Thank you so much for this! I had all but given up on recovering this switch and forgotten about it, but will now follow this guide and see if I can get it running again.

Thanks again!

Message 11 of 16
-c0de-
Tutor

No problem. I was pretty frustrated when it bricked one, and relieved when I was able to get it working again. Just remember to connect TX to RX, and RX to TX when using the USB serial converter.
Message 12 of 16
darrenscott
Guide

I'm happy to report that my switch now lives again!

I did have a bit of trouble getting a serial console connecting to it from my MacBook Pro despite connecting the GND, TX and RX pins of the FTDI USB to serial cable to the J1 header. This was for a couple of reasons:

1. I was connecting at 115200 baud (which is what I've used to connect to other switches in the past) rather than the expected 9600

2. My USB to serial cable appeared to be defective! Thankfully I had a second identical cable which worked first time

To diagnose the 9600 baud problem I ended up connecting up a Saleae Logic analyser to it and monitoring the output on the TX pin during startup. It clearly showed activity, but was gibberish at 115200 baud. It was only when I switch the serial protocol analyser to use 9600 baud that it showed the expected output.

Once I'd got the serial console open and started the in-built TFTP server on the Mac, it was pretty straight forward to then flash the 4.1.0.9 firmware (although this did take a few minutes to complete, so don't be worried if it takes longer than you expect).

Thanks again for helping me bring this switch back from the dead 🙂

Message 13 of 16
-c0de-
Tutor

Fantastic to hear! I'm glad you got it sorted out.
Message 14 of 16
jditto1
Aspirant

Darren, 

I noticed you said you were using a protocol analyzer.  which one?  what settings?

I've connected to my switch with a usb to serial converter and managed to get output to hyperterminal and putty.  however all i get is gibberish.  i've made sure that i've connected at 9600 to match prior posts.  but i just get gibberish.  

can you advise?

thanks,

joe

Message 15 of 16
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi jditto1,

Welcome to the community!

It seems that this post is too old already. Please feel free to create a new thread.

Regards,

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements