Highlighted
Apprentice

GS724Tv4 Enabling IGMP Snooping on a VLAN Breaks IPv6 on that VLAN_case # 25931187

Has anyone else seen this? Anyone have a Fix?

Message 1 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: GS724Tv4 Enabling IGMP Snooping on a VLAN Breaks IPv6 on that VLAN_case # 25931187

Hi Napsterbater,

So far, there are no issues yet regarding your concern.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. How did you know that enabling IGMP Snooping on a VLAN breaks IPv6 on that VLAN?  Kindly describe it and post screenshots of your settings.

b. What is the current firmware version of the GS724Tv4?

c. Have you tried to reboot the GS724Tv4?

d. Have you tried to reset the GS724Tv4 back to factory default settings then configure it from scratch?

Kindly post screenshots of your detailed network setup.  I look forward to your response.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 13
Highlighted
Apprentice

Re: GS724Tv4 Enabling IGMP Snooping on a VLAN Breaks IPv6 on that VLAN_case # 25931187

@DaneA wrote:

Hi @Napsterbater,

So far, there are no issues yet regarding your concern.  Kindly answer the questions below:

a. How did you know that enabling IGMP Snooping on a VLAN breaks IPv6 on that VLAN?  Kindly describe it and post screenshots of your settings.

b. What is the current firmware version of the GS724Tv4?

c. Have you tried to reboot the GS724Tv4?

d. Have you tried to reset the GS724Tv4 back to factory default settings then configure it from scratch?

Kindly post screenshots of your detailed network setup.  I look forward to your response.  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

a) Go into the settings, enable IGMP snooping on a VLAN that has a working IPv6 Subnet. IPv6 immediately brakes, disable IGMP Snooping, IPv6 immediately starts working again. No other changes made  at that time.

b)  6.3.1.4

c) Yes

d) Nope, as i am not cxonviced that will solve anything for this issue. 

Note IPv6 ND/RA is Multicast, And when it gets blocked/broken SLAAC is broken, as well as Router Advertisement, host cant get adddresses and get find a router.

Also note I have found Jupiner, Cisco and Ubiquiti with the same issues. First two seemed to have fixed it, Ubiquiti just found out about it.

Message 3 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Napsterbater,

Thanks for your response.

It seems that you are using an old firmware version.  I suggest you to update the firmwate in a ladderized manner.  Kindly update the firmware to v6.3.1.9 then to v6.3.1.11.  Make sure to reset the GS724Tv4 back to factory defaults after updating the firmware.  Afterwards, configure the GS724Tv4 from scratch then check if same problem occurs.

Here the link where you could download the firmware for the GS724Tv4.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 13
Highlighted
Apprentice

Reluctantly I have loaded v6.3.1.11 and rebooted, the switch is showing v6.3.1.11, even though there are no mentions of any changes to IGMP ot IPv6 in any release notes.

Resetup IGMP on the VLAN, re-enabled it on the ports. same behavior, IPv6 ND RA messages are blocked killing IPv6 connectivity.

I am not resetting this whole unit to defaults unless you can say this is a known problem and resetting has shown to fix it or you (Netgear) has tried this on a nother GS24tv4 and not found an issue, and this is pretty simple to test in your lab, setup an IPv6 router setup and IPv6 client, turn on IGMP on the VLANs and Ports and watch.

Message 5 of 13
Highlighted
Apprentice

Case No: 25931187 has been opened onm this issue.

Packet Caps. and config files sent in.

Message 6 of 13
Highlighted
Initiate

I have exactly the same issue. Enabling IGMP snooping breaks IPv6. More precisely, it stops IPv6 multicast forwarding, which results in no RA or NS/ND messages being exchanged. So as soon as any router advertisement or neighbor discovery time-out occurs, IPv6 stops working.

My switch's firmware version is 6.3.1.11

Message 7 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

This also works for the new 4300 series.

Message 8 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

I have the exact same issue here  and have also submitted a support ticket today to have this addressed.  I have even reset everything to factory defaults and nothing fixes it. 

Firmware version 6.3.1.11.

This is definitely broken.  It is simple to setup and test in a lab environment so I am hopping this is fixed.

Message 9 of 13
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi gstitt,

Welcome to the community! Smiley Happy 

Kindly keep us posted about the progress of the online case you have opened with NETGEAR Support.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 13
Highlighted
Apprentice

@Chnobli wrote:

I have exactly the same issue. Enabling IGMP snooping breaks IPv6. More precisely, it stops IPv6 multicast forwarding, which results in no RA or NS/ND messages being exchanged. So as soon as any router advertisement or neighbor discovery time-out occurs, IPv6 stops working.

My switch's firmware version is 6.3.1.11

A workaround is simply enabling IGMP at the port level, and not the VLAN level.

I currently have all ports that would need IGMP snooping turned on, but nothing enable in the VLAN section. Doing this IPv6 is not effected. and per the IGMP Snooping Table everything is working as expected.

Message 11 of 13
Highlighted
Aspirant

They've asked me to provide the usual suspects (wireshark capture, network diagram, etc.).  I am technically capable of providing this, but since a number of people are experiencingt this I think it would be more appropriate for network engineers at netgear to set this up in their lab.  It's little frustrating I am getting a canned response putting the onus on me.

It would take an hour or so and they could reproduce this at will, rather than back and forthing with me.

1. Get a hurricane electric IPv6 tunnel.

2. Setup on a router and advertise routed subnet to to a network this switch manages.

3. Turn on multicast snooping for the default vlan (1) and notice that clients on the same switch do not get their IPv6 address(es) assigned to them.  Turn it off and notice they do.  Packet sniff to hearts content.  Which they will need to do in order to fix this.

Message 12 of 13
Highlighted
Apprentice

Tell them its linked to Case No: 25931187

Message 13 of 13
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements