× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: GS752TXS stack has a bad switch. Need to swap in working switch and maintain port VLAN config

DAWoodard
Initiate

GS752TXS stack has a bad switch. Need to swap in working switch and maintain port VLAN config

I have a stack of six GS752-TXS switches and one of the units has died.  The unit that has died is not the stack manager.  I have a new unit ready to replace the old unit and have the correct firmware loaded on it.  My question is what is the procedure to replace the defective unit with the new one.  What is the process for doing this to insure that the port configurations for VLANs and such on the switch ports are preserved?

Model: GS752TXS|Netgear 48 ports stackable smart switch with 10G
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DAWoodard
Initiate

Re: GS752TXS stack has a bad switch. Need to swap in working switch and maintain port VLAN config

@DaneA 

Thanks for attempting to assist.  I was able to answer my own question though by trial and error simulation with additional units that became available to me.   In reference to your question, I was needing to replace switch SW3.  I found out that all you need to do to replace a non functioning switch (that is not a master) in the stack is to physically remove the defective switch, insure the replacement switch is reset to factory defaults, update the firmware to the same level as the stack, and then connect the switch in the same manner as the old.  After powerup, the switch will insert itself into the stack, taking on the configuration of the missing member.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@DAWoodard,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Let us label the GS752TXS stack, for example: SW1--SW2--SW3--SW4--SW5--SW6.  Which switch number needs to be replaced? 

Kindly access the article below as this might help as reference guide:

How do I add switches to an operating stack on my managed switch? 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
DAWoodard
Initiate

@DaneA 

Thanks for attempting to assist.  I was able to answer my own question though by trial and error simulation with additional units that became available to me.   In reference to your question, I was needing to replace switch SW3.  I found out that all you need to do to replace a non functioning switch (that is not a master) in the stack is to physically remove the defective switch, insure the replacement switch is reset to factory defaults, update the firmware to the same level as the stack, and then connect the switch in the same manner as the old.  After powerup, the switch will insert itself into the stack, taking on the configuration of the missing member.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements