× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

GSS108E Switch is not supporting 4K media streaming

antzac67
Aspirant

GSS108E Switch is not supporting 4K media streaming

I'm new on this community and this is my first post. I have two GSS108E Netgear Switches at home, one is dedicated to data and the second one is for TV boxes that now come with ethernet port and not with coaxial connector anymore.

There are 5 TV boxes connected to the switch, two of them are 4k the other 3 are HD. The HD boxes work fine but the 4k boxes send a pixelated image to the TV, I have done several tests to discard problems with the wiring, TV's or HDMI cables. After all the testing, I have concluded that my switch is creating the problem. As a test, I have replaced the GSS108E switch for a Linksys SE3005 and it worked fine, in fact I have connected a RJ45 couple adapter in the Switch position and the pixelated video disappeared. As additional info, I have upgraded my switch to the most recent firmware version and I have not change any settings form the factory defaults on my Netgear Switch, except the static IP. The TV/ internet carrier has suggested that my switch should be IPTV. ??? I have never heard the term.

I wonder if I made a wrong decision when I bought this switch or there are some settings in the switch that can help to solve this issue. Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated. Thanks

Model: GSS108E|ProSafe 8 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

Re: GSS108E Switch is not supporting 4K media streaming

Guess the "IPTV" explanation should have been something like "IGMP Multicast handling for IPTV" instead.

Check the "Manage Multicast Traffic With IGMP Snooping" settings (GSS 8-Port and 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Click Switch User Manual p.17 ff) - in my understanding it should be ready to play by default:

• Enabled. IGMP snooping status
  • Disabled. Validation of IGMPv3 IP headers
  • Disabled. Blocking of unknown multicast addresses
Message 2 of 6
antzac67
Aspirant

Thanks for your post, I have checked the settings you mentioned and they are and has been as you suggested. So it seems the problem should be something else.

Antonio

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

It might be required to update the unknown firmware on the GSS108E switches to enhance the ICMP Multicast handling - trouble is that Netgear has revoked firmware and some mandatory bootloader updates from the support downloads. @YeZ please.

Message 4 of 6
antzac67
Aspirant

@schumaku wrote:

It might be required to update the unknown firmware on the GSS108E switches to enhance the ICMP Multicast handling - trouble is that Netgear has revoked firmware and some mandatory bootloader updates from the support downloads. @YeZ please.

Thanks for your response, so if I understand correctly, there is not really a solution to my problem until Netgear offer a new firmware for my device? Is Netgear planning to release a new firmware for it? I've seen that the there is an FW version V1.6.0.5 for the GSS116E, but the newest for GSS108E is V1.6.0.4. Sould I wait for the new FW release or start saving for a new switch?

Model: GSS108E|ProSafe 8 ports gigabits Click switch
Message 5 of 6
antzac67
Aspirant

I have found that there is a new firmware version for this switch 1.6.0.9, I have installed it and I was very hopeful my problem about the pixelated image was going to disappear but it did not. Any suggestions here, thanks in advance!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements