× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: How to raise fan speed on XS708T

fcorbelli
Aspirant

How to raise fan speed on XS708T

Is it possible to raise the fan speed at say 100% ?

Currently is 21% giving MAC t=42° and PHY t=51°.

Thanks to all replies.

Model: XS708T|ProSAFE 8-port 10-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Switch
Message 1 of 11

Accepted Solutions
Squuiid
Luminary

UPDATE: The Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM is an absolutely perfect fit for this, comes with all you need, and makes this switch 100% silent while keeping temperatures in check. Excellent recommendation, thank you.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 11

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi fcorbelli

Welcome to the Community!

No, it's not.

We design our switches with best tradeoff between perceived Noise and Meantime Between Failure (MTBF) reliability  -   thanks to best in class componentry. NETGEAR is one of the only few displaying MTBF in datasheets, because of its excellent hardware.

Your numbers below look good, well under max temperatures we also display in GUI (web interface).

Currently our software doesn't allow manual fan settings: by default and per design our switch operates quietly even at full power thanks to its temperature- and load-based fan-speed control.

I hope it helps!

Regards,

Message 2 of 11
fcorbelli
Aspirant

Thank you for response.

I have replaced stock fan (too high pitched for SOHO) with a much larger one (150mm vs 40mm), PWM-controlled one, running at 270 rpm (at 21%).

What is the "target" temperature? Is 50-60° range good enough ?

With regards, Franco Corbelli

Message 3 of 11
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

You can see it when you log in, directly on System Information page: Scroll down to the Temperature Sensors section. You should see the maximum values for each sensor. 

I'm glad you don't report issues, you may know that hardware modifications void warranty as per http://www.netgear.com/about/warranty/

Regards,

Message 4 of 11
fcorbelli
Aspirant

Thank you for help, but silence is much more valuable than warranty 😉

Message 5 of 11
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

The Community would always be there to help you, in any ways.

Can you indicate the exact model and part-number of the new fan(s) and any detailed information? 

Message 6 of 11
fcorbelli
Aspirant

First try:

Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x20-pwm replacing the stock fan.

Good (low pitch noise) but sadly unhappy positioning of the air outlet (directly on my concrete wall).

I suggest to test this combo, seems very promising: small price and 2 minute screwdriver work.

noc2.jpg

Second:

Noctua NF-A15 PWM, 140mm fan (drilling the metal case, a very quick-and-dirty job)

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a15-pwm

image.jpg

Message 7 of 11
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Very interesting! Thank you for sharing.

Message 8 of 11
Squuiid
Luminary

@fcorbelli wrote:

First try:

Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x20-pwm replacing the stock fan.

Good (low pitch noise) but sadly unhappy positioning of the air outlet (directly on my concrete wall).

I suggest to test this combo, seems very promising: small price and 2 minute screwdriver work.

noc2.jpg

Thank you very much for this recommendation! 

Message 9 of 11
Squuiid
Luminary

UPDATE: The Noctua NF-A4x20 PWM is an absolutely perfect fit for this, comes with all you need, and makes this switch 100% silent while keeping temperatures in check. Excellent recommendation, thank you.

Message 10 of 11
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Squuiid,

Thanks for the update. 🙂  This will help other community members looking for 3rd party fan that would work with the switch.

Cheers,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements