× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: JGS524PE connecting 2 to Fortigate

Dwade504
Aspirant

JGS524PE connecting 2 to Fortigate

I have a simple LAN with a cable modem, followed by a FortiGate 60 firewall, then 2 JGS524PE switches. 

The FortiGate has several internal ports for connections. Would it be better to connect each switch to a separate internal port on the firewall, or to daisy-chain them. In either condition, are there any specific setups that would give any advantage?

Additionally, in the near future we will be adding VOIP phones at this location which will use the POE ports for power.  Is there a reason to consider placing them on a VLAN? If so, why?

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dwade504,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4

All Replies
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Dwade504, 

Welcome to the community! 

Daisy-chained vs directly connected doesn't really seem to have a big difference when it comes to speed and performance. However, I'd personally use direct connect to the router since it is more fail-proof than two switches connected to each other. If the main switch connected to the router fails, then the second switch connected to it will lose connection. Creating a VLAN is not necessary since you can configure QoS settings on the switch. QoS Configuration helps you maximize the use of bandwidth per port.

Let me know if you have more questions, otherwise please mark this post as "Accept as Solution".

Thanks, 

Message 2 of 4
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dwade504,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accepted Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Thanks,

Message 3 of 4
fordem
Mentor

I know this is an old question, but for any one who stumbles across it I'll respond anyway.

Regarding VoIP phones & VLANs, I would strongly suggest the IP phones be placed in their own VLAN - there is no detail on user count but with two 24 port switches, you could easily have 40 or more users, and with that much data traffic, you may find that voice traffic is affected.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements