× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Looking to buy but need more info

Konoki5k
Star

Looking to buy but need more info

I need to segment my wife's  work computer from the rest of the network. Currently we're using a router behind a router which causes a double nat and she's taking a performance hit. I want to get a layer 2 switch to throw her on a vlan and get rid of the 2nd switch. I'm unsure if I need one or 2 though. Her office is currently 2 switches away from the router. Office switch > bedroom switch > netgear router.  Her office has multiple work and home devices in the same room which is why it has its own switch. Then it hops to the bedroom which then go's to my office where the router is. Any advice would be great thanks. 

Model: GS308E|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@Konoki5k wrote:

I need to segment my wife's  work computer from the rest of the network.

What's the reason for this need?

@Konoki5k wrote:

Currently we're using a router behind a router which causes a double nat and she's taking a performance hit.

Unless you have  10 Gigabit symmetrical Internet connection - any decent consumer router does make some 750 to 950 Mb/ s concurrent traffic in both directions, unless a large amount of small frames are involved. With this set-up, the wife's work computer traffic does flow over the same L2 broadcast domain and the same home IP subnet work.

@Konoki5k wrote:

I want to get a layer 2 switch to throw her on a vlan and get rid of the 2nd switch.

"I want" is a good plan. Of course you could introduce L2+ VLAN capable switches, and configure a second VLAN for wife's office traffic. Now, a second VLAN is an 100% dedicated broadcast domain, a very own LAN just using the same physical L2 network, and it requires a dedicated local IP subnet. 

Neither Netgear's consumer routers nor almost all ISP consumer/SOHO routers are supporting one LAN, one IP subnet, ... Said that, you need some more infrastructure to achieve this, e.g. an additional router, a replacement for the current router supporting multiple LANs, ...

Now I hope you understand my initial question...

@Konoki5k wrote:

Her office is currently 2 switches away from the router. Office switch > bedroom switch > netgear router.

If the router for serving both LANs is with the Internet connection and the existing network, all switches where the traffic is passing requires a VLAN config.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Konoki5k wrote:

I need to segment my wife's  work computer from the rest of the network.

What's the reason for this need?

@Konoki5k wrote:

Currently we're using a router behind a router which causes a double nat and she's taking a performance hit.

Unless you have  10 Gigabit symmetrical Internet connection - any decent consumer router does make some 750 to 950 Mb/ s concurrent traffic in both directions, unless a large amount of small frames are involved. With this set-up, the wife's work computer traffic does flow over the same L2 broadcast domain and the same home IP subnet work.

@Konoki5k wrote:

I want to get a layer 2 switch to throw her on a vlan and get rid of the 2nd switch.

"I want" is a good plan. Of course you could introduce L2+ VLAN capable switches, and configure a second VLAN for wife's office traffic. Now, a second VLAN is an 100% dedicated broadcast domain, a very own LAN just using the same physical L2 network, and it requires a dedicated local IP subnet. 

Neither Netgear's consumer routers nor almost all ISP consumer/SOHO routers are supporting one LAN, one IP subnet, ... Said that, you need some more infrastructure to achieve this, e.g. an additional router, a replacement for the current router supporting multiple LANs, ...

Now I hope you understand my initial question...

@Konoki5k wrote:

Her office is currently 2 switches away from the router. Office switch > bedroom switch > netgear router.

If the router for serving both LANs is with the Internet connection and the existing network, all switches where the traffic is passing requires a VLAN config.

Message 2 of 4
Konoki5k
Star

So pretty much I need a router that supports vlans natively. Or a 2nd programmable IP address on the gateway / bridge which is not likely unless I upgrade to business.

the reason - her company does not want our home network to see their work equipment. She does medical billing and they want her office environment to be HIPPA compliant. well as much as possible anyways. 

As of last night it does not matter for a while as her company just laid off half their workforce. 

I do thank your for the well laid out answer and for showing me what I was missing as I laid this out on my head. 

Stay safe and healthy

Konoki5k

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Konoki5k wrote:

So pretty much I need a router that supports vlans natively.

Or a 2nd programmable IP address on the gateway / bridge which is not likely unless I upgrade to business.

the reason - her company does not want our home network to see their work equipment. She does medical billing and they want her office environment to be HIPPA compliant. well as much as possible anyways. 

As of last night it does not matter for a while as her company just laid off half their workforce.

Native VLAN support or dedicated ports for each braodcast domain.

@Konoki5k wrote:

Or a 2nd programmable IP address on the gateway / bridge which is not likely unless I upgrade to business.

@Konoki5k wrote:

@Konoki5k wrote:

Correct. 

@Konoki5k wrote:

Interesting approach requesting such an effort for the employees home network - especially considering typical home network routers simply don't have the basic capability around.

@Konoki5k wrote:

So that isn't the time to let them know that they would have to pay for such an home network infrastructure 8-/

All the best wishes, stay strong and healty!

-Kurt

PS. Have three family members on home office, with two working on bealf of competitors (finance, private banking). No such requirements at all, all run VPNs anyway.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements