× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: MS510TX - Ports 10Gb in normal mode ?

Boboss
Aspirant

MS510TX - Ports 10Gb in normal mode ?

hi,

I want to buy a switch MS510TX.

Can uplinks ports be used in normal mode?

example:
SFP + (10Gb) for 10GB internet input
RJ45 (10Gb) to connect the computer

thanks

Model: MS510TX|8-port Multi-Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 10G Copper / 10G SFP+ Fiber Uplinks
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, of course you can connect PCs, Nas, Webcam or TV etc.

An uplink is a standard Ethernet port that can be used as any other port on the switch, for local devices, or used as an aggregation link (faster speed) to transport other devices' traffic to a core, for instance. I hope this helps

Regards,

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Boboss

Sure, you can.

Not sure what you meant as abnormal mode, these two 10G ports, one Copper and one Fiber, only work as standard Ethernet ports. Hope this helps

Regards,
Message 2 of 6
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Boboss 

What exactly do you mean by "normal mode"?

On that switch the hardware install guide for example mentions that the last 2 ports are independent. For comparison: There are switches (I remember several M4100's) where there are 2 physical ports, such a RJ45 and SFP but only one of them can be active at any given time. On that switch both ports should be usable when the other one is.

If you want to connect your internet feed directly to the switch (i.e. you have a SFP Module for FTTH from your porovider) and don't want your router before that you'd have to configure VLANs. I can give more details on that if that applies to your use case.

Message 3 of 6
Boboss
Aspirant

my question is rather:
What is an uplink port?
can I use these 2 "uplink ports" as standard ports to connect any device (computer, NAS, webcam, TV ...) ?

Message 4 of 6
LaurentMa
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, of course you can connect PCs, Nas, Webcam or TV etc.

An uplink is a standard Ethernet port that can be used as any other port on the switch, for local devices, or used as an aggregation link (faster speed) to transport other devices' traffic to a core, for instance. I hope this helps

Regards,
Message 5 of 6
Boboss
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your answers Laurent and Msi 🐵

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements