× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Management VLAN for GS108T and GS108E

stevefxp
Apprentice

Management VLAN for GS108T and GS108E

Hello all,

I am in the midst of upgrading my home network switching to the GS108T. The reason I am doing this is to establish a management vlan for all switches and other gear. I originally built my home network with the GS108Ev3 and GS105Ev2 switches. I would like to re-use these older switches, but is there any way to establish a management vlan on these? It seems I can setup basic vlans but I see no way of setting up a dedicated management vlan on these.

Does Netgear make a 5 port switch that allows for the creation of a management vlan, like the GS108T? There are some locations where I do not need 8 ports, but rather 2-3 ports.

Thanks,

Steve

Model: GS105v3|ProSafe 5 port Desktop gigabit ethenet switch, GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch, GS108v3|ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Desktop Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Management VLAN for GS108T and GS108E

@stevefxp,

Smart Managed Plus Switch Models which includes both the GS108Ev3 and GS105Ev2 switches does not support Management VLAN.  The user can configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering.  

To learn more about the kinds of NETGEAR Business Switch models, kindly check the article below:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

Does Netgear make a 5 port switch that allows for the creation of a management vlan, like the GS108T? There are some locations where I do not need 8 ports, but rather 2-3 ports.

I'm afraid to inform you that there is no 5-port NETGEAR switch that supports Management VLAN. 

To know the NETGEAR Switch models that supports Management VLAN, kindly check pages 31-56 of the NETGEAR Business Product Catalog Volume 20-1 here.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@stevefxp wrote:

I originally built my home network with the GS108v3 and GS105v3 switches-

GS108Ev3 and GS105Ev3  the Smart Managed Plus units these are most likely.

@stevefxp wrote:

I would like to re-use these older switches, but is there any way to establish a management vlan on these? It seems I can setup basic vlans but I see no way of setting up a dedicated management vlan on these.

Smart Managed Plus (except of the XS724EM when I have it right) don't offer an isolation allowing the tiny management processor isolated to a specific VLAN - that's why there is no such control. You can still create static VLANs, where the segregation is granted. In general, the Smart Managed Plus switches allow adding a L3 IPv4 based access control to the management controller - unfortunately, the models GS108Ev3, GS108PEv3, and GS308E do not support access control. Therefore, any system on any VLAN can be configured to an IPv4 address in the management subnet, and the access to the management port from any VLAN is possible. For most SOHO/consumer/home networks, this isn't that critical IMHO.

To my knowledge, all GSxx5E are (as the E designator shows) Smart Managed Plus.

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@stevefxp,

Smart Managed Plus Switch Models which includes both the GS108Ev3 and GS105Ev2 switches does not support Management VLAN.  The user can configure certain static layer 2 settings in order to improve network efficiency and performance.  The configurable features are Port Mirroring, VLAN, QoS, Rate Limit, and Broadcast Storm Filtering.  

To learn more about the kinds of NETGEAR Business Switch models, kindly check the article below:

Which NETGEAR switch is right for me?

I'm afraid to inform you that there is no 5-port NETGEAR switch that supports Management VLAN. 

To know the NETGEAR Switch models that supports Management VLAN, kindly check pages 31-56 of the NETGEAR Business Product Catalog Volume 20-1 here.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements