× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Neighbor Info are not available - ip and mac

ivanmorato
Aspirant

Neighbor Info are not available - ip and mac

How can I see the IP and MAC of the devices connected to my port?

Neighbor Info are not available

netgear_2.pngnetgear_1.png

Model: GC752XP|Insight Managed 52-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports
Message 1 of 16
ivanmorato
Aspirant

netgear_2.pngnetgear_1.png

Message 2 of 16
schumaku
Guru

The Neighbors Information is clearly showing under the System LLDP topic - the data available is sourced from the LLDP-MED, an LLDP extension named Media End Point Discovery.  On Windows 10 / Windows Server 2016 and newer, the LLDP LLDP-MED can be enabled by adapter (interface if you want). 

By rule of thumb, the MAC address cache per VLAN and port/interface should be visible under Switching -> Address Table; the ARP cache is visible under Routing -> ARP. 

Message 3 of 16
ivanmorato
Aspirant

In the LLDP configuration I also cannot see the IP and Mac of the device that is connected to my port.

LLDP-MED-Info.pngLLDP-MED.png

Message 4 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@ivanmorato wrote:

In the LLDP configuration I also cannot see the IP and Mac of the device that is connected to my port.

Probably I was not clear. LLDP-MED (so an LLDP agent) must run on the other side, e.g. a Linux or Windows system, or on a switch, and the port must be enabled for LLDP-MED. And finally, the information returned can be limited or vary.

Beyond it's a little bit difficult because as in-line images require moderation before these are becoming visible.

Edit: Just see the first post images ae visible now. You are talking of Insight. Anything under "Neighbor Information" is LLDP-MED sourced. No MAC or ARP table information.

What is connected to Port 3, 9, 17, and 21?

Here is the Neighbor Infro form a per supporting LLDP-MED:

LLDP-MED Neighbor Information.PNG

Non-LLDP-MED deivces show N/A for the wired conncted devices:

Connected Devices - wired - non-LLDP-MED NA.PNG

This is an inconsitency - nothing we can do to see the non-LLDP-MED devices MAC and IP for now.

Message 5 of 16
ivanmorato
Aspirant

Thanks for your feedback my friend.
Is there any way for me to have the IP and MAC information on the Insight Cloud?

Port 3 - LTE Modem - NetGear LB1120-100NAS
Port 9 -WiFi Router - TPLINK TL-WA801ND
Port 17 - Notebook - Dell inspiron 15 Notebook (Windows 10)
Port 21 - RFID Sensor

Windows 10 

LLDP_WIN10.jpg

Message 6 of 16
ivanmorato
Aspirant

My windows 10 has the LLDP protocol enabled, on port 11. Netgear still doesn't show the informationNeighbors_ Netgear.pngLLDP_WIN10.jpg

Message 7 of 16
schumaku
Guru

The driver alone isn't sufficient - DCB installtaion is required, then you can enable the NetLdpAgent wIth the cmdlets in PS.

Message 8 of 16
grissomtech
Tutor

Just chimming in here.  I am having the same issue on all my GC7xxxx switches.  No Neighbor info will populate.  To me this is a flaw on Netgear's side.  We should not have to go to every computer or run a script in our networks to check or enable LLDP or DBC installation.

Netgear is hindering our jpbs as network admins if we can not see this info. We purchsase these switches to be able to gain insight and help trouble shoot network issues.  How can wew do this if we do not know what is connected.  

PS.  All Neighbor info shows up on Netgear Insight Wi-Fi devices.  Show the switches have a firmware issue.  Fix it Netgear. 

Model: GC752X|Insight Managed 52-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports
Message 9 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@grissomtech wrote:

I am having the same issue on all my GC7xxxx switches.  No Neighbor info will populate.  To me this is a flaw on Netgear's side.

As mentioned above, this requires LLDP on the connected devices to show exact information.

@grissomtech wrote:

We should not have to go to every computer or run a script in our networks to check or enable LLDP or DBC installation.

That's a snap in a managed environment. DCB (Data Center Bridge) is required on Windows 10 for LLDP support.

@grissomtech wrote:

All Neighbor info shows up on Netgear Insight Wi-Fi devices.  Show the switches have a firmware issue. 

...and a lot of the information ref. the attached devices is simply wrong, and compared to LLDP highly incomplete. The tin hat driven Apple and Android privacy random MAC isn't really helpful either. Not aware any switch cores having a compareable capability.

Message 10 of 16
grissomtech
Tutor

As the other person mentioned in this post, LLDP is enable on all my machines.  Still nothing shows up.  

Perhaps Netgear can give exact  instructions on how to fix this.  

PS.  I have a few customers with Meraki switches and all neighbor info shows. No extra steps needed.  

Message 11 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@grissomtech wrote:

As the other person mentioned in this post, LLDP is enable on all my machines.  Still nothing shows up. Perhaps Netgear can give exact  instructions on how to fix this.  

Well, I'm neither Netgear nor Microsoft support. So very brief from wally brain an excursion into Windows management:

===

Enabling LDAP Agent on Windows 10

Requirements: Windows 10 Professional or Enterprise. 

In the Control Panel, on the Ethernet network adapter(s) you intend to cover, the "Microsoft LLDP Packet Driver" must be installed and enabled.

On an Powershell with raised privileges (Administrator mode), run for example this to check and enable DCB and then enable the LLDP agent:

If (!(Get-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName 'DataCenterBridging').State -eq 'Enabled') {
    Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName 'DataCenterBridging'
}

Get-NetAdapter | Where-Object { $_.Name -like "*Ethernet*" -and $_.Status -eq 'Up' } | ForEach { Enable-NetLldpAgent -NetAdapterName $_.Name -Verbose }

In case the Cmdlets are not found, you need to install RSAT (Remote Server Administration Tools), consult the installation details here on the official Microsoft (former RSAT download) page -> Remote Server Administration Tools for Windows 10  

===

Afraid, I can't tell you exactly which Optional Features with RSAT function(s) you need to select on the newer Windows 10 to make the feature and PS available.

@grissomtech wrote:

PS.  I have a few customers with Meraki switches and all neighbor info shows. No extra steps needed.  

Would be interesting to see what "all" information is shown there. 

Message 12 of 16
grissomtech
Tutor

Thanks for the info.  I will test.  But I should not hav to do nay of this.  Here is a snippet from the Meraki.  See Attached.

Model: GC752X|Insight Managed 52-Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Cloud Switch with 2 SFP and 2 SFP+ 10G Fiber Ports
Message 13 of 16
grissomtech
Tutor

Nothing worked. Verified LLDP and ran script.  Script failed.  

Message 14 of 16
schumaku
Guru

Boah - IP addresses, wow I'm impressed  8-/. Curious what will be shown if there is a switch (including a non-routing) connected.

Of course Netgear could consider to read the VLAN ARP Cache and the IPv6 Neighbor Table and feed this to Insight to complement the LLDP-MD sourced data.

Trouble is this won't be limited to the direct attached peer only - and two new APIs would require to be added to all cloud managed switches (where these two details are available - probably not on the L2 and L2+ models). 

@YeZ We've discussed this with the Netgear Insight team several times already. What do you think about this proposal?

Message 15 of 16
schumaku
Guru

@grissomtech wrote:

Nothing worked. Verified LLDP and ran script.  Script failed.  

Reading the hole post, and then plus copy-paste from PS is your friend. I have never said this is a click-and-play-PS solution - and that's why I'm not Microsoft support.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements