× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear Smart Managed Switch GS310TP- UNifi VLAN Tagged/Untagged

mondenath
Prodigy

Netgear Smart Managed Switch GS310TP- UNifi VLAN Tagged/Untagged

I just bought the 310TP for powering Unifi WIFI as there is no injector available and never thought i would need POE switch but it looks to be intresting on capability of switch now i can control and plan the network.

I wanted to setup a VLAN for media devices and IOT devices ( Smart bulb and Amazon echo & Smart AC) and Portal devices like Mobiles and tabs a seperate VLAN and NAS  a seperate VLAN and Unifi AP being center for all wireless devices. Except my desktop & NAS rest all wireless exception is AP which get POE as source.

Now this is what i wanted and need help to setup.

VLAN-1 - PC / Laptop/ Tab to be mangement devices should have access to everything in the network

VLAN-2- Unifi AP - This connects everything.

VLAN-3- IOT wireless devices connecting to AP.

VLAN-4 NAS

VLAN-5 For all Mobiles, TV, Repeater & streaming devices including setop box.

Now VLAN-1 & 2 will have access to anything. VLAN 4 should have have acces to VLAN 5. 

VLAN 3- needs to be isolated only have Internet access and no access to any VLAN other than VLAN 2 AP for connection. ( Little tricky not sure if this technically feasible)

VLAN 4- should have internet access as well.

On the other hand can i isolate few devices in VLAN 5 mobile/streamer to be isolated and have access to all but not seen by others on scaning. Just 2 devices .

Also i am not sure where to find complete view of the smart managed switch video how to setup managed switch. 

Does this model is supported for the Insight or its not.

What does the uplink SFP usecase.

Model: GS310TP|NETGEAR® S350 Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Ethernet Smart Managed Pro Switch with 2 SFP Ports
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear Smart Managed Switch GS310TP- UNifi VLAN Tagged/Untagged

Appears there is some massive misconception in your VLAN design idea. 

Each 802.1q VLAN does make up a dedicated network, it's own broadcast domain, with a dedicate IP subnet. Every network is - with some small exception - behaving like each network built with an unmanaged switch (and a router to provide IP routing, subnet, default gateway, and DHCP.

This is not something specific to Netgear, Ubiquity/UniFi does follow the same standards. 

The idea you follow does not have much to do with indusry standard VLANs, appears more coming from the cumbersome concept of asymmetric VLANs.

@mondenath wrote:

Also i am not sure where to find complete view of the smart managed switch video how to setup managed switch. 

This would make a longer video. First you need to understand 802.1q VLANs.

@mondenath wrote:

Does this model is supported for the Insight or its not.

The GS310TP can be discovered on the LAN (to be correct on the management VLAN) using Insight. To my knowledge, the Insight cloud management feature isn't available as of writing, only select models are cloud manageable.

@mondenath wrote:

What does the uplink SFP usecase.

SFP port allows using alternate media, like single mode fiber, multimode fiber, or copper - depending on module plugged.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements