× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Netgear managed switch and router question

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear managed switch and router question

Please take a look at this post I put and give me your thoughts as to if this is possible...I want to....

Is it possible to take my netgear router,and netgear switch that I haven't bought yet, and get it setup to segement out different networks and use ACL to accomplish what I want? Any tutorials on setting this up? I am pretty sure the nighthawk 6700v2 won't do this network setup, but perhaps if I buy the GS308EP switch I could set it up to do all of this? maybe not. It seems the router is very limited on the vlan configuration page...

For example, I'd like to have 6 networks.

172.16.1.0/24 - hard wired

172.16.2.0/24 - wireless 5ghz (private)

172.16.3.0/24 - wireless 2.4ghz (private)

172.16.4.0/24 - wireless 5ghz (guest)

172.16.5.0/24 - wireless 2.4ghz (guest)

172.16.6.0/24 - NVR and cameras

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/Nighthawk-R6700v2-and-GS308EP-VLAN-setup/m-p...

Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear managed switch and router question

The Netgear (and many more) consumer routers don't support any VLAN segregation for the LAN. What is in place is the ability to bridge some e.g. IPTV VLAN (different from the Internet data VLAN) from the Internet/WAN side mostly.

Of course the GS308EP could make up the VLAN segregation, however there in no routing, no DHCP service, and no ACLs. 

Completely obscure to me is the idea to segregate the VLANs based on technology, WiFi bands et all. The modern WiFi coverage is intended to offer a network access service, users should not have to deal with different bands. When you approach (or leave the other way round) the site, the connection will be established first on 2.4 GHz (most reach) seamlessly roam to 5 GHz (less reach, higher performance), and on the core where performance counts and the wiFi client technology is available, made up on 6 GHz (WiFi 6E), or probably 60 GHz on a very short range. Everything will ideally connect to one network, using the same IP address, so you can continue streaming, IP telephony, ...

The biggest challenge is having multiple VLANs with dedicated IP subnets, where you intend to have services. Many devices or system need "more" than just IP addresses (ideally DNS resolved) - today you find system designs using service discovery based on Broadcast (limited to one subnet), mDNS (Multicast bsed discovery) where you need to retail the access over multiple iP subnets. another prominent example is a NVR system with the camera. On classic NVR systems, the live camera access is done by using a direct connection and data stream. Here again, you don't want to change to a different network (by SSID, by access port, technically by any kind of VLAN access) just to reach and work the NVR and the cameras. 

Said that, even a Smart Managed Pro or a Managed Switch does not offer more than the pure IP short cut routing for the direct ttached devices.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Netgear managed switch and router question

The Netgear (and many more) consumer routers don't support any VLAN segregation for the LAN. What is in place is the ability to bridge some e.g. IPTV VLAN (different from the Internet data VLAN) from the Internet/WAN side mostly.

Of course the GS308EP could make up the VLAN segregation, however there in no routing, no DHCP service, and no ACLs. 

Completely obscure to me is the idea to segregate the VLANs based on technology, WiFi bands et all. The modern WiFi coverage is intended to offer a network access service, users should not have to deal with different bands. When you approach (or leave the other way round) the site, the connection will be established first on 2.4 GHz (most reach) seamlessly roam to 5 GHz (less reach, higher performance), and on the core where performance counts and the wiFi client technology is available, made up on 6 GHz (WiFi 6E), or probably 60 GHz on a very short range. Everything will ideally connect to one network, using the same IP address, so you can continue streaming, IP telephony, ...

The biggest challenge is having multiple VLANs with dedicated IP subnets, where you intend to have services. Many devices or system need "more" than just IP addresses (ideally DNS resolved) - today you find system designs using service discovery based on Broadcast (limited to one subnet), mDNS (Multicast bsed discovery) where you need to retail the access over multiple iP subnets. another prominent example is a NVR system with the camera. On classic NVR systems, the live camera access is done by using a direct connection and data stream. Here again, you don't want to change to a different network (by SSID, by access port, technically by any kind of VLAN access) just to reach and work the NVR and the cameras. 

Said that, even a Smart Managed Pro or a Managed Switch does not offer more than the pure IP short cut routing for the direct ttached devices.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements