× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ProSAFE+ GS108E - Who do I call about my serial number already being registered

nkyadav
Aspirant

ProSAFE+ GS108E - Who do I call about my serial number already being registered

HI,

I bought this switch some 7 years ago or so, (I know approximately the date as I was then in a Masters program) from a local store, either Best Buy or else Staples (almost positive it was Staples).  I've used it for a long while, and at least one of the ethernet ports has gone bad.

I never actually used it as a managed switch, just unmanaged for my home, and I wanted to do some troubleshooting.  I also just recently bought a GS308 to replace it for my home connections, and only after coming here did I realize that the 108E not only is a partially managed switch but also has a lifetime warranty.

I go to look at my devices here in myportal, and I have a lot of old GS108s listed, plus a couple of old routers (R8000, E6200 extender) etc., but this GS108E is not there.  OK, so I figure it's time to register it with a date from 2011.

Only I get a mesage saying it has already been registered.

I've tried all the email addresses that I currently use (and a couple that I no longer use), requesting a PW change, so I can check to see if the product was registered using another email address.  No go.

So, I have 2 questions:

1)  Who do I need to call to figure out which email address I registered this device with (or to figure out if someone else registered the device falsely,) as the original box has the serial# clearly printed on the outside)?

2)  I've replaced the 108 with the 308, but my desktop computer actually has 2 ethernet ports.  If I use one of the ports to connect to the 108 again, can I install and run the ProSAFE+ Utility and connect to the 108E without confusing either the utility or my computer?  Or do I need to disconnect from the 308 completely before attempting to troubleshoot the 108? (Obviously, it'd be helpful if I could have both connected, so I can read stuff on the Internet while working with the 108, rather than having to use, say, my phone, to get Internet access while troubleshooting....)

Model: GS108E|8-port ProSAFE Plus Switch
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ProSAFE+ GS108E - Who do I call about my serial number already being registered

Sent via PM. 

The GS108E SN registered to your second NETGEAR account.  If you want to transfer the product registration or merged your accounts, please contact the Customer Care team.  

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
nkyadav
Aspirant

Thanks to Nodism1125 - My serial was verified on another account that I no longer have access to, and I am in the process of consolidating the info into a single account.

Also, the ProSAFE+ utility worked perfectly fine with one Ethernet port attached to the ProSAFE+ device and the other attached to the live device for Internet connectivity.

This thread can be marked as solved.

Model: GS108Ev1|ProSAFE Plus 8-port Switch
Message 2 of 5
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

You're welcome. 

Message 3 of 5
Nodism1125
NETGEAR Expert

Sent via PM. 

The GS108E SN registered to your second NETGEAR account.  If you want to transfer the product registration or merged your accounts, please contact the Customer Care team.  

Message 4 of 5
nkyadav
Aspirant

Thanks, Nodism1125.

Per your advice, I did that, and they already responded, opened a case, transferred the serials to my main account, and closed the case.  Extremely efficient.

Thanks for posting the info for future users as well.

If I could give you any more kudos, I would!

Model: GS108Ev1|ProSAFE Plus 8-port Switch
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements