× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ProSafe Managed Switch GS108Ev3 slow downloads during Internet speed test

lataneal
Initiate

ProSafe Managed Switch GS108Ev3 slow downloads during Internet speed test

Hi Everyone,

I'm not getting nowwhere close to the expected speeds of my Xfinity gigabit internet service when my computers are connected to this switch. Below is my current setup.

• Xfinity gigabit modem in bridge mode
  • Ubiquiti Edge Router X connected to the Xfinity modem
  • GS108Ev3 switch connected to the Ubiquiti Edge Router
  • Computers connected to the GS108Ev3 switch

When the comptuer is connected directly to the Ubiquiti Edge Router, I'm getting speed tests results in the 900+ mbit range. When The computer is connected to the GS108Ev3 switch, I'm getting speed test results in the 200-300 mbit rnage.

Troubleshooting steps I've gone through so far that has not fixed the problem of the slow speed through the switch.

• Factory reset the switch
  • Updated the switch firmware to the lastest version 2.06.10EN
  • Tried plugging in the computer with different cables and and in different ports
  • Swapped out the GS108Ev3 switch with another GS108Ev3 switch
  • Swapped out GS108Ev3 switch with a brand new GS105E switch

I'm at a loss as to where the problem is. Clearly there is some sort of config on these ProSafe switches that's limiting my bandwidth to the interent. One curious thing I'm seeing in the ProSafe Plus Utility and the switch's Web Management Console is that the Linked Speed for the port I'm connected to is at 100M even though the lights on the port is showing that it's connected at gigabit speeds - I would expect it to be at 1000M. Also plugging into another port doesnt seems to update that port ss being used so I'm not sure this info in the console means anything.

Thanks in advance.

Model: GS108Ev3|ProSafe 8 ports Gigabit Plus switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
lataneal
Initiate

Re: ProSafe Managed Switch GS108Ev3 slow downloads during Internet speed test

I wanted to provide a follow up. I found the problem - there was a poorly wired wall port to which the switch was plugged into. Only 2 of the 4 pairs were wired in this port and of the 2 pairs what were wired, 1 pair was in the wrong position. This bad port wiring must have created interference and/or noise through out the entire network and the two Netgear ProSafe switches were impacted by this. However, the Ubiquiti router was not having any problem so I thought it was something to do with the Netgear switches. It now appears that Netgear switches were impacted by the poor wiring which caused problems with the speed test. After I rewired the port correctly, I'm getting near Gigabit download speeds during the speed test.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@lataneal,

Based on the troubleshooting steps you performed, I suggest you to open a chat or online support ticket with NETGEAR Support here at anytime for further investigation. 

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 3
lataneal
Initiate

I wanted to provide a follow up. I found the problem - there was a poorly wired wall port to which the switch was plugged into. Only 2 of the 4 pairs were wired in this port and of the 2 pairs what were wired, 1 pair was in the wrong position. This bad port wiring must have created interference and/or noise through out the entire network and the two Netgear ProSafe switches were impacted by this. However, the Ubiquiti router was not having any problem so I thought it was something to do with the Netgear switches. It now appears that Netgear switches were impacted by the poor wiring which caused problems with the speed test. After I rewired the port correctly, I'm getting near Gigabit download speeds during the speed test.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements