Highlighted
Guide

Problem with latest firmware (V1.6.0.4)

I updated 3 GS105Ev2 switches to the latest firmware (V1.6.0.4). I started having all kinds of frame errors and device hangs. I moved back to the previous release (V1.6.0.3) and all problems cleared up instantly. These are the edge switches with a Netgear S3300_GS728TX at the core. These have been rock solid until this latest firmware release. Anybody else with issues?

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 1 of 12
Highlighted
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Problem with latest firmware (V1.6.0.4)

Hi bigpop,

Welcome to our community! Smiley Happy

I tried to check this with our support team if they got any issues and it seems that they haven't encountered this. May you be able to share the logs so that we can further check?

Regards,

JohnCarloV

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

Yes – I can get you the logs. Let me see if I can collect them today. I do not see anything about logging on the GS105Ev2. Can you tell me how to get them to you?

I tried again on one of my switches and the new firmware definitely creates many IP TV issues (v1.6.0.4). Once I backed down everything works great. Thanks for your help.

Model: GS105Ev2|ProSafe Plus 5 ports switch
Message 3 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

@bigpop wrote:

I do not see anything about logging on the GS105Ev2.

There isn't any...

@bigpop wrote:

I tried again on one of my switches and the new firmware definitely creates many IP TV issues (v1.6.0.4). Once I backed down everything works great.

Reverted to which version?

What kind of issues - problems with IGMP muticast, e.g. streams not starting, streams fail within a minute or so, or fail during the "switch" from unicast while zapping to multicas after a few seconds, or "noise" on all ports?

Message 4 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

The big issue is as you describe "streams fail within a minute". It is like 15-20 seconds and a new stream fails.You can start another stream (e.g. change channels) and it behaves the same. The new stream works for 15-20 seconds and stops.

The firmware V1.6.0.3 does not have this issue or any other previous versions that I have used. A couple of IP TV recievers connected directly to the core switch in my network have no issues either. Core switch is a Netgear S3300_GS728TX.

I have 3 GS105Ev2 switches as edge switches and all have the same exact behavior.

Message 5 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Just for completeness, IGMP Multicast is eanabled for the IPTV VLAN, and the static uplink port was and is configured?

ProSafe Plus Utility - Multicast.PNG

Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

IGMP Snooping Status is enabled. I do not have a separate VLAN for IPTV. The multicast configuration is exactly the same as your picture in your reply. IGMP Snooping Status on the S3300 core switch is set to disabled but the Validate IGMP IP header is enabled. This has been working great for a long time. Everything runs through the S3300 and just for completeness, I am running spanning tree on the core switch but not on the edge GS105Ev2 switches.

Message 7 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Agree, this config should work right away. If operating a flat L2 network, it might be required to put in the default VLAN ID 1 there. Operating GS110EMX as edge switches along with the rooms where we have the Swisscom TV HD and UHD IPTV boxes up, however, we have the validation disabled for a while. Still keen to remain up to speed because some friends have still the GS108Ev2 in place.

Message 8 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

I agree also. We have AT&T HD boxes here and it is a flat L2 network as you say. IPTV service is from AT&T over 1G Fiber Optic connection so it is a pretty simple network. We also have eliminated all the old GS108 switches. Not sure why the change to V1.6.0.4 would inpact this. It appears nothing in the settings gets changed by the upgrade. I do not see anything in the release notes about the security fixes that could explain this. Perhaps there is something in V1.6.0.4 that I am missing in the release notes. This is not urgent since we are working great at V1.6.0.3 for now.

Message 9 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

Might be the moment to put up a support request on https://my.netgear.com from your side, too.

Message 10 of 12
Highlighted
Guide

All my GS105's are just outside the 90 day window so there is no option to open a case.

Message 11 of 12
Highlighted
Guru

No worries - https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS.pd... shows Lifetime Tech Support* via chat, 90 day tech support via email

Excellent offering, even when looking at the fine print!

• LIFETIME Limited Hardware Warranty*
(excludes external power adapters on applicable models)
• LIFETIME 24/7 Chat Technical Support*
• LIFETIME Next-Business-Day Replacement*

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements