× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

QoS Rate Limit works for TCP but NOT for UDP - limit appears to not kick in for hundreds of ms why?

duckware
Prodigy

QoS Rate Limit works for TCP but NOT for UDP - limit appears to not kick in for hundreds of ms why?

I have the GS108PEv3 because of the Rate Limit feature, but it does not work.  I rate limited a port to 4 Mbit/sec.

TCP: When I run a speed test using TCP, rate limiting on the switch does appear to work.

UDP: But when I run a speed test using UDP, I get a much higher speed (my Internet upload speed).  Results of a test:

Sent: 250 packets (250000 bytes) in 100.0ms (20.00 Mbps)
    Recv: 250 packets (250000 bytes) in 104.1ms (19.21 Mbps)

After a bunch more testing, a possible reason: the rate limit does not kick in for hundreds of milliseconds.  But that means any program can bypass the rate limit by sending short bursts of traffic.

Netgear, please fix ASAP

Model: GS108PEv3|ProSafe Gigabit Plus switch with PoE
Message 1 of 2
schumaku
Guru

Re: QoS Rate Limit works for TCP but NOT for UDP - limit appears to not kick in for hundreds of ms w

Typical bursting effects, easy to achieve e.g. using UDP bursts, not convinced the aim of the QoS rate limit feature is to have a measurement instrument quality class hard rate restriction. The system (I hope it's the switch core here) does require a certain time for taking the effective detection, before the limit can be effectively applied.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements