× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Setting up VLAN with Google Wifi. Switch "dissapears" on network.

vschroeder
Guide

Setting up VLAN with Google Wifi. Switch "dissapears" on network.

Hi Everyone!

I have succesfully setup my Smart Switch to manage the VLAN tagging to a Google Nest Wifi Router.

The Wifi works fine, even the wired connection seems fine. However, when I go from the Nest Router, back into the switch the switch "dissapears" on the LAN. Even though i assigned it a static IP and correct gateway i just can't get in contact with it.

What also happens is that I can't get in touch with my NAS over the Wifi, only on a wired connection.

I am really trying to understand where in the network map it's going wrong, but It's difficult.

The only trunk port is from the modem, and I was thinking if also the port to the Google router needs to be trunk? Or the return connection from the router needs to be trunked? 
All advice is super welcome!

Thank you guys.

Model: GS305E|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Setting up VLAN with Google Wifi. Switch "dissapears" on network.

By rule of thumb you need two VLANs. First for the Internet WAN part:

1. #7 with the link towards the Telekom side VLAN 7, tagged, PVID whatever (I think, no need for handling non-tagged packets there) no other VLAN membership (!!!)
  2. #7 with the link towards the Google WiFi VLAN 7, untagged, PVID 7 - no other VLAN membership (!!!)

When I understand you right, this does work.

Now it seems you intend to use the switch also for the LAN with a dedicated VLAN. You could use the default VLAN 1. Ensure this is VLAN not on the two ports where Internet/WAN VLAN 7 is. So configure all other ports to VLAN 1, untagged, PVID1 - and no other VLAN membership.

The static IP (on a LAN IP, like 192.168.1.x or whatever is in use there) is required because the Smart Managed Plus type switches (except some XS variants) don't allow to limit the controller to a single management VLAN. Said tht, there is some risk in this set-up with that switch class.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

--VLAN1--- -7-
    LAN       Router, Telecom

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@vschroeder wrote:

I have succesfully setup my Smart Switch to manage the VLAN tagging to a Google Nest Wifi Router.

The Wifi works fine, even the wired connection seems fine. However, when I go from the Nest Router, back into the switch the switch "dissapears" on the LAN. Even though i assigned it a static IP and correct gateway i just can't get in contact with it.

What also happens is that I can't get in touch with my NAS over the Wifi, only on a wired connection.

Does not read like a successful set-up to me ... leaving alone that the crystal ball here is out of service and my Transilvanian aunt is no longer appearing. 

@vschroeder wrote:

I am really trying to understand where in the network map it's going wrong, but It's difficult.

Indeed, not difficult to understand. Without _any_ details on what you want to achieve and what is configured and wired now - what do you expect?

@vschroeder wrote:

The only trunk port is from the modem, and I was thinking if also the port to the Google router needs to be trunk?

Comes the idea you might want to try splitting e.g. a provider IPTV VLAN or a provider VoIP VLAN to to be able connecting IPTV or IP phones somehow.

@vschroeder wrote:

Or the return connection from the router needs to be trunked?

What is return connection? That's not a an fuel system.

Unlikely any Google Nest, including the WiFi router device does support VLAN trunking and tagging on the LAN side. Google WiFi does for my knowledge not even support a ISP/WAN-side VLAN tag support for e.g. the Internet VLAN, the IPTV VLAN, and the VoIP VLAN for configuring a VLAN bridge (being to an Ethernet port, other Google WiFi devices, or to a dedicated WiFi network.

Complete unclear to me what exactly you want to achive. Working on something like this? -> Set up a network that uses VLAN tagging stating "Some internet services providers (ISPs) require VLAN tagging in order for their modems to communicate with wireless routers. VLAN tagging is not supported by Google Nest Wifi or Google Wifi and can cause your set up to fail." Last sentence sounds familiar, isn't it?

In short: You can't easily replace a provider dual- or tripple-play router (making "everything" available on its Ethernet and WiFi) by a Google WiFi router and a smart managed siwtch.

In long: Your Google WiFi system can only serve one network - that's the Internet (plain IP or VLAN tagged), routed/NATed by the Google WiFi router. This is where e.g. your mobile, computers, NAS are connecting to. This Google WiFi served network can't carry IPTV or VoIP. The switch properly configured for handling the provider Internet and VLANs does allow the configuration of ports for serving e.g. IPTV on dedicated wired connection(s) or VoIP on dedicated wired connection - the port must be associated to the relevant VLAN ID, untagged, and have the PVID set to the same ID. 

Message 2 of 7
vschroeder
Guide

Hi there @schumaku,

Thank you for your patience.

I will attempt to elaborate. What I try to archive is not really super complicated. I think!

My ISP is Deutsche Telekom and they require VLAN Tagging ID 7, if you want to bypass their own router and use PPPoE.

So hereby some fancy graphics to convey what I want:

I tried via this guide: https://kb.netgear.com/30918/How-to-configure-an-802-1Q-VLAN-on-a-ProSAFE-Web-Managed-Plus-Switch-us...

What works:

- Internet works on all devices. Wired, and wirelessly. 

- I can wirelessly access my desktop computers.

What does not work:
- In the moment i plug in the LAN cable from the Google Nest to the Netgear managed switch, the switch simply dissapears. I can't find it with the Netgear Utility, I can't ping it on the static IP i gave it and can't find it with Advanced IP Scanner. It's simply gone.

- I can't wirelessly access my server.

I made sure that the switch is not in DHCP mode and gave it a IP address on the same subnet, with an IP within the routers pool.

So I think it could be related to the VLAN tagging, but I am not sure!

Thanks for the patience.

However, something with DHCP or similar must fail. This is my what my unexperienced tummy tells me.

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

By rule of thumb you need two VLANs. First for the Internet WAN part:

1. #7 with the link towards the Telekom side VLAN 7, tagged, PVID whatever (I think, no need for handling non-tagged packets there) no other VLAN membership (!!!)
  2. #7 with the link towards the Google WiFi VLAN 7, untagged, PVID 7 - no other VLAN membership (!!!)

When I understand you right, this does work.

Now it seems you intend to use the switch also for the LAN with a dedicated VLAN. You could use the default VLAN 1. Ensure this is VLAN not on the two ports where Internet/WAN VLAN 7 is. So configure all other ports to VLAN 1, untagged, PVID1 - and no other VLAN membership.

The static IP (on a LAN IP, like 192.168.1.x or whatever is in use there) is required because the Smart Managed Plus type switches (except some XS variants) don't allow to limit the controller to a single management VLAN. Said tht, there is some risk in this set-up with that switch class.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

--VLAN1--- -7-
    LAN       Router, Telecom

Message 4 of 7
vschroeder
Guide

cheers for your help!

edit: just testing it now, but i might have made it to work from your suggestions! Will update

Message 5 of 7
vschroeder
Guide

bless your soul.

it worked out brilliantly.

everything is working now. Switch is accessable, servers are accessable!

Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Kleiner Nachtrag - in der Tabelle ging etwas vergessen:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 

--VLAN1---- -7-
U U U U U U U T
----LAN---- Router, Telekom

Immer gerne, keine Ursache.

Grüsse aus der Schweiz!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos