× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch GS748Tv4H2 and unable to connect to QNap TS-473A directly

modessrl
Aspirant

Switch GS748Tv4H2 and unable to connect to QNap TS-473A directly

I have a weird situation, before used QNAP TS-469L for manage my network backup connected directly to my GS748T, I had to switch the NAS for EOL matter and I then choose a more faster model as in object, the funny things is I first configure the NAS in my office connected to a normal switch TP-LINK then I finish the configuration and after turn the other NAS off I only switch the CAT6 network cable and fire on my new NAS and it seem unable to turn on the network connection between switch and NAS ! I did try other ports, other cat cables, but the funny things is it work if I put another switch at the end of the cable connected to the port of the GS748T and then another cable from that switch to the QNAP ! Magically it start to work the network and light on nas turn on too. How would I fix it ? Not tell me I have to change switch too because I love my GS748 !

Model: GS748Tv4|Netgear 48 ports Smart Switch
Message 1 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Switch GS748Tv4H2 and unable to connect to QNap TS-473A directly

@modessrl 

Welcome to the Community!

It might be an auto-negotiation issue with the switch. Your new QNAP has 2.5GbE ports right? It may be having a hard time negotiating it's port speed. There are some cases that a different switch will be handling the negotiation more efficiently than the others. This only happens when connecting your QNAP right?

Have you tried changing the port negotiation setting to manual? The GS748T might be having an issue with the port speed negotiation. You may want to try setting a port to negotiate with 100Mbps or 1000Mbps manually to check if it will provide a DHCP address once the QNAP is connected directly on the GS748T. or if you don't have a saved configuration on the switch a quick factory reset might help.

If you have tried this already but still not getting an address when connected on the switch, it would be best to contact support so they can check on the switch issue.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 10
modessrl
Aspirant

Thank you for the reply, yes as ending test I did set manually the port speed to 100m duplex (why can't set to 1000 duplex manually if it's a gigabit ?) and the NAS lan work properly but I totally unpleased by this because what's the point to have a fast Nas on a slow managed and not surely cheap switch ?? I could not start any support call because the switch it's out of warranty but I think then I will look around for another model that has not this kind of problems.

Message 3 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@modessrl wrote:

why can't set to 1000 duplex manually if it's a gigabit ?

Because IEEE does mandate to Auto for link speeds from Gigabit and up.

Message 4 of 10
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@modessrl 

Have you tried setting the NAS' ethernet to negotiate manually on 1G? The switch might be better off detecting it. 1G is not available as an option since it is default port speed so it automatically negotiates on 1G just like what @schumaku said.

Message 5 of 10
modessrl
Aspirant

Sadly I could not see any option for change the negotiate option on the QNAP that would be nice infact

Message 6 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@Marc_V wrote:

Have you tried setting the NAS' ethernet to negotiate manually on 1G?

Here again, for any link speed from Gigabit and up (1 Gb/s, 2.5Gb/s, 5 Gb/s, 10 Gb/s, ...) is mandatory on copper links as per the IEEE and applies to any manufacturer..

@Marc_V wrote:

The switch might be better off detecting it. 1G is not available as an option since it is default port speed so it automatically negotiates on 1G just like what @schumaku said.

No, it's not because of 1 Gb/s is the highest speed.

Both issues - the auto negotiation as well as the inability to change the combo-ports once manually set to 100 Mb/s (applicable to the copper port only of course) back to Auto [this should be an easy fix!] are bugs.

Message 7 of 10
modessrl
Aspirant

So, as they seems quite important bugs how we could do to get support on this switch ? If I buy today the same switch I will get the same problem so it's not a matter of warranty it's a matter of firmware update I guess and I don't really like the idea of change switch only for that bugs. But if that's the only way I will cross out netgear from my future choice, I don't think I am the only one facing this issues.

Message 8 of 10
schumaku
Guru

@modessrl wrote:

If I buy today the same switch I will get the same problem ...

This is unlikely, because of the GS748Tv4(h1) and the GS748Tv4h2 were relatively short-lived products, built in small lots. These were replaced in the market by the GS748Tv5 starting from September 2013 already.

@modessrl wrote:

I don't really like the idea of change switch only for that bugs.

This is unlikely, because of the GS748Tv4(h1) and the GS748Tv4h2 were relatively short-lived products, built in small lots. These were replaced in the market by the GS748Tv5 starting from September 2013 already.

@modessrl wrote:

But if that's the only way I will cross out netgear from my future choice, I don't think I am the only one facing this issues.

All vendors have limitations for lifetime, support, hardware exchange. Netgear has probably one of the most customer friendly offering on these inexpensive switches.

Said that: I expect Netgear can look into both issues. Netgear offers the limited Lifetime Waranty since 2007 on the ProSAFE models to the first buyer ("...Warranty for products with ProSAFE Limited Lifetime Warranty, except for Fully Managed Switches, ends five years after the product is listed as “End of Life” here. ..."). Considering both v4 models are not listed EoL on the formal list holding EoL dates since 2013, dated January 2022). The negotiation issue could be a hardware issue or limitation. The inability to revert the port to Auto is plain software (well, just UI related in fact).

@YeZ please.

Message 9 of 10
modessrl
Aspirant

Thank you so what you suggest I do based on the fact that my switch now is out of warranty and only way to comunicate is the community forum ? Who I have to call or send email for looking into this issue ?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements