× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Switch reboots in endless loop when 2 ports are connected to 10G

tomte
Tutor

Switch reboots in endless loop when 2 ports are connected to 10G

Hi, hopefully someone here as a solution (the Singapore Netgear support refused any support since I bought the switch off Newegg).

Switch operates normal with 6 ports used, but as soon as both 10G ports are occupied, it reboots in an endless loop every 1-20min. Tried switching cables, devices, no devices at all, also one 10G port at a time works fine; just when both 10G ports are used this happens. Is this a hardware fault or what could it be?
Model: GS110EMX|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2-Port 10G/Multi-Gig Uplinks
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
tomte
Tutor

Re: Switch reboots in endless loop when 2 ports are connected to 10G

The new power supply (3A) seem to have solved the issue. Thanks for all the feedback. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 7

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Does the device run very hot? Appears some users experience crashes probably caused by higher temperatures. What's the environment temperature? Can the installation location be enhanced towards better airflow or avoidance of near heat sources (avoid stacking on other switches, hot servers, ...)?

The GS110EMX here operate flawless with almost all ports (incuding two on 10G) in use.

@tomte wrote:
(the Singapore Netgear support refused any support since I bought the switch off Newegg).

Not aware there is anything in the long legal texts on warranty that devices from abroad should not be supported...

Message 2 of 7
tomte
Tutor

It stands complete free, no other devices surrounding it to limit airflow, and the switch crashes the minute the 2nd 10G port is populated (doesn’t matter which one). Power led on, all other leds off. Then it reboots, and repeats that at random every 1,2,3-20min. I have a Synology NAS connected to one of the 10G ports which shows a log of the network connection drops. If only one port of the 10G connected (either), all fine, so it shouldn’t be any of the devices causing it.
Model: GS110EMX|8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch with 2-Port 10G/Multi-Gig Uplinks
Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

We're using this switch model in a very similar set-ups, 10G NAS and 10G uplink flawless (even if it's often stacked on some other GbE switch).

Curious if these reboot happen more on the idle or full load on the two 10G links?

Just to avoid the impossible: Your GS110EMX is powered by the correct power supply? 10G is very power intensive. From wally brain, it does consume up to 16 Watts - so a 12V/1A power supply as used by many smaller switches and routers won't be sufficient.

Assuming your device does run on the current firmware (early adopter here not aware there was such a firmware issue or fix), I suspect time for a hardware warranty swap.

Message 4 of 7
tomte
Tutor

Thanks for the replies. I ordered a spare power supply (3A, 12V) just to make sure its not a faulty power supply. 

RMA seems complicated, again, the Singapore Netgear support claims they only support "locally" bought Netgear products and not Netgear products ordered from overseas such as newegg. Nothing I can do here. 

Message 5 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Can't help with the RMA part as I'm not Netgear. @DaneA please.

Message 6 of 7
tomte
Tutor

The new power supply (3A) seem to have solved the issue. Thanks for all the feedback. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements