× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

VoIP on GS105Ev2

tonynsx
Luminary

VoIP on GS105Ev2

I have a new GS105Ev2, and I'm trying to setup VoIP on it, but I'm not sure how to.  I'm using 802.1Q VLAN.

Port 1 = Trunk from another Netgear switch for VLANs 2,4,5 (T)

Port 2 = VLAN 5 (U) (This is my voice VLAN, and the phone is not getting a VLAN 5 dhcp, this doesn't work)

Port 3 = VLAN 4 (U), this works

Port 4-5 = VLAN 2 (U), this works

My management VLAN is 4, not sure if this matters, but this works also.

According to this, this switch does VoIP.  

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/switches/Gigabit_Ethernet_Smart_Managed_Plus_Switches_DS.pd...

I have other Netgear switches, and they have Auto-VoIP settings, but not this switch.  What am I doing wrong?

Also, all of my switches are in VLAN 4 for management IP, but I can't see this switch in the Smart Control Center.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
tonynsx
Luminary

Re: VoIP on GS105Ev2

Called Netgear, apparently this switch doesn't do voice.  Only 8 ports and up does VoIP.  Going to return this 5 port and buying the GS308T, which does voice.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8

All Replies
tonynsx
Luminary

Called Netgear, apparently this switch doesn't do voice.  Only 8 ports and up does VoIP.  Going to return this 5 port and buying the GS308T, which does voice.

Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Of course also the Smart Managed Plus devices can handle voice e.g. on the VLAN ID 5 - however there is no AutoVoice feature to have VoIP devices automatically associated to the voice VLAN. 

Message 3 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

Then why is the phone not getting VLAN 5 dhcp? What am I doing wrong? I called netgear support and they said I can’t connect ip phone to this switch. Do I need to tag VLAN 5 on port 2 instead of access (U)? I didn’t try this.

Also this switch doesn’t come up on the smart control center.
Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Either the VoIP device must use tagging (and the port must be configired as tagged for the VLAN 5), or the untagged VLAN must be 5 including the PVID - so  fixed configuration, no Auto-VoIP - then your device plugged will get an address from the VLAN 5 DHCP.

The Smart Manged Plus are not covered by SCC (as the Smart Manged Pro), the counterpart for these models is the ProSafePlus Configuration Utility.

Message 5 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

Thank you, now that I think about it, I need to make the port 2, where the VoIP phone is connected into a trunk port.

I find it weird that I have to use smart control center for some switches, smart wizard for others and prosafe plus for this. It will be nice to use one utility for all switches.
Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@tonynsx wrote:
... now that I think about it, I need to make the port 2, where the VoIP phone is connected into a trunk port.

Netgear does not differentiate trunk vs. access ports - so I guess you talk of a port with one or more purpose configured tagged VLAN - OK.

@tonynsx wrote:
I find it weird that I have to use smart control center for some switches, smart wizard for others and prosafe plus for this. It will be nice to use one utility for all switches.

Well, as mentioned before: Two complete different switch classes. Not sure what Netgear does intend to do mid- and long-term ref. the two SCC and the ProSafe Plus utilities. Potentially both will tend to be phased out in favour of the Netgear Switch Discovery Tool (which does list both Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro, but not the Insight managed switches however [another inconsistency, not all Insight GCxxx switches are under Insight Management] and using the individual switch Web UI only. 

Message 7 of 8
tonynsx
Luminary

I made port 2 tagged for VLAN 5 and the IP phone is getting dhcp and working. Thanks for your help.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements