× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: WN203 doesn't get proper IP allocation from router when using VLAN 1 wireless connection

DonD
Guide

WN203 doesn't get proper IP allocation from router when using VLAN 1 wireless connection

Using an FVS318N router and WN203 access point, I'm setting up a church network to support church staff on VLAN 1 and wireless guest connections on VLAN 2.  When I connect wirelessly to the access point on the VLAN 1 connection, then do an ipconfig, the router assigned IP is not what I expected.  Expected 192.168.1.2, but get 169.254.76.78.  Works okay if I connect wirelessy to the access point on the VLAN 2 connection, then do an ipconfig, and get expected 192.168.2.51.

Here are some screen shots:

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Capture4.JPG

Capture5.JPG

Capture6.JPG

Capture7.JPGCapture8.JPG

Capture9.JPG

Capture10.JPG

Capture11.JPG

I'm new to using VLAN's and sure would appreciate some help with this.

Thanks in advance.

Don

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: WN203 doesn't get proper IP allocation from router when using VLAN 1 wireless connection

Hi DonD,

Kindly try the following:

a. Update the firmware of your GS108Ev3 from v2.00.05 to v2.00.07.  Make sure to perform a factory reset on the GS108Ev3 after a successful firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.  You may download the latest firmware v2.00.07 here.

b. If ever the firmware of the WN203 is not the latest version, kindly update it as well to v2.0.11 then perform a factory reset on it after a successful firmware upgrade and reconfigure it from scratch.  You may download the the latest firmware v2.0.11 here.

c. Since you mentioned that you have other WN203, then kindly try to set it up to further isolate the problem.

If ever the same problem occurs after doing the steps above, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support for assistance.  Let them know your goal and the troubleshooting steps we have done so far.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
DonD
Guide

Oh, by the way, the WN203 access point is plugged into port 1 of the router, which is setup to connect to VLAN 1 and VLAN 2.

Don

Message 2 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

I think you need to have a smart switch in between the FVS318N and WN203 that would handle VLAN tags.  There is no option to "tag" port 1 of the FVS318N and this is possible if there is a smart switch in between the FVS318N and WN203.  I recommend you the GS108Tv2.   Kindly access this link for more information about GS108Tv2.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 12
DonD
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Actually, the network I'm putting in the church does use a GS108E with VLAN management.  I experienced the same problem when using that switch as I described in the beginning of this discussiion.   For management of the network I'm using a laptop plugged into port 1 of the GS108E at the left of the config in place of the "Staff Switch".  The WN203 I'm using is plugged into port 2 of the GS108E at the left of the config.  The rest of the network is not built out yet.  Now just using the FVS318N at the left of the config, the GS108E at the left, and the WN203 at the left as described.  No modem connected yet.  When testing the wireless capability of the WN203 VLAN's 1 and 2 got the ipconfig's I included in the start of this discussion.  VLAN 2 worked fine, see the ipconfig.  But, VLAN 1 didn't get a valid IP from the router, see the ipconfig.  Here are screen shots of the GS108E setup, and also a network configuration diagram.  This really has me puzzled.  Any ideas?  Thanks for your help DaneA.  -- Don

Capture12.JPG

Capture13.JPG

Capture14.JPG

Capture15.JPG

Capture16.JPG

Capture17.JPG

Capture18.JPG

Message 4 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

Let us isolate the problem.  Based from your screenshots, port 1 is untagged on VLAN 1 configured on the GS108Ev3.  Kindly connect a PC/laptop directly to port 1 of the GS108Ev3 then check if it will get a valid IP address from VLAN 1.  If it gets a valid IP address, open command prompt and check if you will be able to get replies when you ping the default gateway which 192.168.1.1. 

If ever the PC/laptop does not get a valid IP address, try to set a static IP address of 192.168.1.x (x can be any number from 2 to 49).  Then, open command prompt and check if you will be able to get replies when you ping the default gateway which 192.168.1.1. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 12
DonD
Guide

Thanks, DaneA for your quick response.

I connected the laptop to port 1 of the GS108E, where the laptop is setup for DHCP, and got the two following screenshots:

Capture19.JPG

Capture20.JPG

I also plugged the laptop into port 2 of the GS108E and did the same, getting these two screenshots:

Capture21.JPG

Capture22JPG.JPG

I don't know, but it seems to me like the problem may be with the access point setup or it may be defective.  Please, take a look at the access point setup screenshots I provided earlier in this discussion.  I have other WN203's I can configure and try if we want to do that.

Thanks, Don

Message 6 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

Since the wireless network for VLAN 2 (FUMC_Guest) is unsecured, kindly try to set the wireless network for VLAN 1 (FUMC_Staff) to unsecure as well.  Check if if the wireless device such as the laptop will be able to obtain a valid IP Address from VLAN 1. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 12
DonD
Guide

DaneA,

I changed wireless SSID "FUMC_Staff" to "open", then wirelessly connected laptop to it and got the following screenshots:

Capture23.JPG

Capture24.JPG

Capture25.JPG

Capture26.JPG

Message 8 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

Kindly try the following:

a. Update the firmware of your GS108Ev3 from v2.00.05 to v2.00.07.  Make sure to perform a factory reset on the GS108Ev3 after a successful firmware upgrade then reconfigure it from scratch.  You may download the latest firmware v2.00.07 here.

b. If ever the firmware of the WN203 is not the latest version, kindly update it as well to v2.0.11 then perform a factory reset on it after a successful firmware upgrade and reconfigure it from scratch.  You may download the the latest firmware v2.0.11 here.

c. Since you mentioned that you have other WN203, then kindly try to set it up to further isolate the problem.

If ever the same problem occurs after doing the steps above, kindly open an online case with NETGEAR Support for assistance.  Let them know your goal and the troubleshooting steps we have done so far.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 12
DonD
Guide

DaneA,

I got sidetracked with an automobile problem that I had to fix right away.  I'll do what you recommended and report back.

Thanks,

DonD

Message 10 of 12
DonD
Guide

Hi DaneA!

Well, guess what...after doing exactly what you outlined in your previous note, everything works great now.  Must have been a bad update install I'm guessing.  Anyway, thank you so much for all of your help!  It's nice to know there are individuals like yourself here on the forum with so much great knowledge about Netgear products, and that they are willing to help others.  This is a great forum!

Thanks again!

Best Regards!

DonD

Message 11 of 12
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DonD,

You are welcome! 🙂  I am happy to know that everything is now working fine! 🙂  

Feel free to post your future concerns here in the community.

Cheers,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements