× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Your existing cabling can handle more than 1g - Multi-Gig Switches #Webinar

BretD
Admin

Your existing cabling can handle more than 1g - Multi-Gig Switches #Webinar

multi-gig-switches-webinar-20190806.pngAs networks get more and more crowded, everyone needs more speed. Looking to amplify your Network and boost the speed of your devices? You might be suprised of the flexibility of your existing cables to hander more capacity. NETGEAR has you covered with a uniquely comprehensive portfolio of highly flexible and scalable full Multi-Gigabit switches that fit every business need. Join our webinar and learn more about the benefits of deploying NETGEAR Multi-Gig switching!

What are NBase-T or 5-speed Multi-Gig Ethernet ports and switches? These are ports that can adapt to 100M, 1G, 2.5G, 5G and 10G on a single port. Learn more of how Multi-gig switches are used in the upcoming webinar.

Date: Aug-6 2019
Time: 11A-12PM PT (For Time-Zone info visit the reg page)

Registration is closed.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
BretD
Admin

A replay of the NBase-T Multi-Gig Switches webinar is avaliable below. Please let us know your feedback or questions.

[video]

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 9

All Replies
BretD
Admin

A replay of the NBase-T Multi-Gig Switches webinar is avaliable below. Please let us know your feedback or questions.

[video]

Message 2 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Things that are missing at that point in Netgear's portfolio

• Silent, fully managed compact switches - ideally with some PoE+ capabilities (somewhat similar to GSM5212P but fanless)
    • If they were to be multigig, even better. The multigig uplink would become handy in areas where there are not enough network outlets and you need just that bit more than 1G now.
  • Fully managed multigig switches in rack size format with more ports than M4200
Message 3 of 9
BretD
Admin

Would you be able to go into a bit more detail as to your use cases for these size and format of switches?

Thanks!

-Bret

Message 4 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Bret

The M4200 right now is the only fully managed switch from Netgear with multi gigabit and I cannot see myself managing lots of switches over a web UI only. However as a rack mounted switch its port density is really on the low side. If it were 16 or even better 24 port, that would be much more interesting. I'd guess that multi gigabit 48-Port unit would be complex and potentialy lead to a rather expensive product overall.

For the compact switches: You currently offer compact, fanless switches with some PoE+ capabilities like the GS310TP. However there is no managed and fanless switch in the 8-12 port range as needed in offices with not enough network outlets to directly connect all devices to the core network. My dream product: Take something like the GS110TP/GS310TP leave it fanless, add a console port, enable SSH provide a CLI, that' it. You could leave out the L3 features of the M4300, the feature set or even a bit less of the M4100 would be sufficient.

Multi gigabit would be nice for uplinks but not as needed in that size, but certainly it would be helpful for WiFi 6 APs in a small office with only 1 network plug. Having 2.5/5G as uplink would be perfect in existing buildings. However currently I've only found one competitor offering a compact, fanless, PoE+ capable managed switch with multi gigabit (quite expensive). There is more (and cheaper) choice with 1G uplinks only, and some are available with SFP+ for uplinks.

Message 5 of 9
BretD
Admin

Thank you for the excellent feedback! We really appreciate it.

Message 6 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

Hi Bret

Thanks for reading my feedback, also while skimming through the current offerings and form factors the GSS110EMX (lacks PoE, but looks like a GS110TP, and 2x mGig uplinks instead of SFP) or the MS510TXPP would be serious candidates for a "pay some premium for a CLI access".

While the later isn't fanless, the form factor is almost ideal - it's just that CLI that is missing. 180W of PoE+ is not easy to get passively cooled, maybe 124W (Budget for 4x 30W PoE+ / 8x 15.4W PoE) is easier?

I could even imagine leaving out the older RJ45 serial console port in favour of the more compact USB port if it makes the design simpler.

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@msi wrote:

While the later isn't fanless, the form factor is almost ideal - it's just that CLI that is missing. 180W of PoE+ is not easy to get passively cooled, maybe 124W (Budget for 4x 30W PoE+ / 8x 15.4W PoE) is easier?

The problem is that you have to get rid away a lot of heat - depending on the heat generated around. Pure passive is between cumbersome to impossible. Netgear might consider e.g. a half rack-wide box like the M4300-8X8F/-12X12F. The firmware was changed so when operating cool enough, the fan won't run. But then, a 180W+ power supply does take up a lot of room, and creates heat, the more the higher the load.

The GS110EMX is nice, but does run very hot - with "just" two MultiGig and eight GbE ports. Not a device you want to mount on a rack - there are no mounts when i have it right.

Message 8 of 9
msi
Luminary
Luminary

That is why I proposed 125W as a middle-ground for a passively cooled switch since Netgear already offers switches with up 125W of PoE+ (external power bricks). I've seen compact switches from competitors with internal and external PSUs and depending on the PoE budget they end up having rather large heatsinks and/or many vent holes.

Thanks for the note on the heat produced by the GS110EMX, usually such a switch wouldn't be mounted in a rack anyway, but I see you point.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements