× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

can this managed switch be used in open mode

nicke20
Aspirant

can this managed switch be used in open mode

I have been offered a GS724TP-200EUS sealed in box from a local company that have three to sell at less than half price, it would greatly clean up my home setup that uses lots of poe injectors and two 8 port prosafe non managed switches. Do i have to run the management software or will it run out of the box in an open unmanaged mode?

Model: GS724TP|ProSafe 24 ports gigabit smart switches with PoE
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: can this managed switch be used in open mode

All Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro switches run out of the box like a non-managed switch, all ports are member of the default VLAN 1 all untagged.

There is no management software required anyway, these are all locally Web managed units.

To avoid some good friends or neighbours visiting you I suggest you take management control at least to the level of changing the default admin password, and change the default SNMP config for read and read+write. Oh and while you are on it ensure you run a current firmware, see https://netgear.com/support 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

All Smart Managed Plus and Smart Managed Pro switches run out of the box like a non-managed switch, all ports are member of the default VLAN 1 all untagged.

There is no management software required anyway, these are all locally Web managed units.

To avoid some good friends or neighbours visiting you I suggest you take management control at least to the level of changing the default admin password, and change the default SNMP config for read and read+write. Oh and while you are on it ensure you run a current firmware, see https://netgear.com/support 

Message 2 of 3
nicke20
Aspirant

Thank you for your prompt reply and advice

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements