× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: "An error occurred while accessing the NETGEAR registration server. Check your Internet&amp

meatball1
Star

"An error occurred while accessing the NETGEAR registration server. Check your Internet"

As the subject says, every time I log into my switch, I get this annoying pop-up. I've read several posts in the forums dating back to 2018 but have yet to come across a solution. 

What's strange is:

- The switch is registered (registered it online the day I received it)

- I'm on the latest firmware

- I've owned this switch well over a year, but the pop-up nag is something that started occuring in the last few months.

Is there a solution to get rid of this? I apologize in advance if it's been listed here in the forums. I read a ton of posts but never came across an actual solution. Any guidance would be very appreciated. Thanks much.swiotch reg.jpg

Model: XS708Ev2|ProSafe Plus 10G 8 ports switch
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
meatball1
Star

Re: "An error occurred while accessing the NETGEAR registration server. Check your Internet&amp

I registered my device (again) this time in the insight app, signed out of the app and so far so good, no messages. I guess I can take my tinfoil hat off now Smiley Happy 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
plemans
Guru

Re: "An error occurred while accessing the NETGEAR registration server. Check your Internet&quo

Just guessing here but are you using any dns, site blocking, or other services that might be stopping the access to the registration server? 
My pi-hole for a while was causing similar errors for a different service. I had to go in and find what request was being blocked and whitelist it. 

Message 2 of 7
meatball1
Star

Hey thanks for the follow up. I'm not running anything like pi-hole etc that would be impacting access to the registration server. 

That brings up ann intertesting point/concerns- is netgear continually trying to phone home?

Curious, once you whitelisted netgear so they could get through your network, have the attempts stopped? IE can you remove them from your whitelist now that you've confirmed your gear is registered?

If netgear has decided it requires enterprise gear to be registered, there are a lot of ways to accomplish confirm that without requiring direct access to my network, especially without notiyng us first. I get marketing crap from netgear all the time, the only way they got that info was from my registering the switch. Hopefully this isn't what's happening and I'm reading too much into this. 

I appreciate your response. Thanks a lot. 

Message 3 of 7
plemans
Guru

@meatball1 wrote:

Hey thanks for the follow up. I'm not running anything like pi-hole etc that would be impacting access to the registration server. 

That brings up ann intertesting point/concerns- is netgear continually trying to phone home?

Curious, once you whitelisted netgear so they could get through your network, have the attempts stopped? IE can you remove them from your whitelist now that you've confirmed your gear is registered?----My netgear equipment hasn't had any issues with registration. it was from a different router manufacturer that I was testing out. I was "phoning home" roughly every 1 minute. I had to leave it in my whitelist. I believe it was because a lot of its app management was cloudbased at the time. Not sure if it still is as I'm not testing it anymore 🙂

If netgear has decided it requires enterprise gear to be registered, there are a lot of ways to accomplish confirm that without requiring direct access to my network, especially without notiyng us first. I get marketing crap from netgear all the time, the only way they got that info was from my registering the switch. Hopefully this isn't what's happening and I'm reading too much into this.-----Not sure on this. this is the public support forum and its mainly people from the public helping out. Plus I'm rarely on the switches forum as its not quite the area I'm any good at since I haven't had much exposure to it. @schumaku is much much better on the business side of things 

I appreciate your response. Thanks a lot. 

Message 4 of 7
meatball1
Star

Hey first off, please know this my response wasnt intended to be aimed at you. I know this is mostly a community of fellow users trying to help each oher out. That was more me thinking out loud and I do appreciate your chiming in and in no way was pointing my concerns at you.

So from what I've been reading, sounds like this is acutally happening and the ultimate goal has little to do with registration and eveything to do with having your permanently tied into their cloud. There are now products apparently where fucntionality is unavilable unless you you're logged into the insight app (and that's not leaned until after the point of sale and installed at home). Im sure they're positioning themselves to sell some cloud based subsciption that ties into your hardware, if they havent already.

I logged into the insight app- the registrstion messages stopped. I'll confirm if they return after I've logged out of the app.

Here's the officical netgear annoucment: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Smart-Plus-and-Smart-Pro-Managed/Why-We-Require-Registration-on-Sma...

If you google it, there's a million posts from angry customers disucssing this:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24530009

https://brianlovin.com/hn/24530009

Luckily for me, my 'managed' switch has very few features they coud take away.

Message 5 of 7
meatball1
Star

I registered my device (again) this time in the insight app, signed out of the app and so far so good, no messages. I guess I can take my tinfoil hat off now Smiley Happy 

Message 6 of 7
plemans
Guru

glad to hear that worked for you!

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements