× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

trunking two switches but only one vlan working

TomZeee
Aspirant

trunking two switches but only one vlan working

I'm a noob to VLANs beyond basics so hopefully someone can help with this simple setup. I just can't see the mistake in trying to setup two VLANs between two managed switches (Netgear GS305E and D-Link DGS-110-08 with port 5 and 1 trunked). I have one of the VLANs (VLAN 20) working but not VLAN 1.  I omitted all other ports to simplify:

netgear:
  VLAN 1:  port 1 removed, 2 untagged, 5 tagged (so VLAN 1 is only on port 2 and trunk via 5)
  VLAN 20: port 1 untagged, 2 removed, 5 tagged (so VLAN 20 is only on port 1 and trunk via 5)
  PVID:
     port 1: VLAN 20
     port 2: VLAN 1
     port 5: VLAN 1

d-link:
  VLAN 1: port 2 removed,  4 untagged,  1 tagged (so trunk should be on port 1)
  VLAN 20: port 2 untagged,  4 removed,  1 tagged
  PVID:
     port 1: VLAN 1
     port 2: VLAN 20
     port 4: VLAN 1

In this configuration I have VLAN 20 working but not VLAN 1 (should be default) on the netgear switch. What am I doing wrong?

If I plug in port 5 on on netgear (so the trunked port)  to port 4 (VLAN 1) on the other switch then it works, I can see VLAN 1 on the netgear switch.

Tom

Model: GS305E|5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Smart Managed Plus Switch
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
TomZeee
Aspirant

Re: trunking two switches but only one vlan working

Turns out the solution was to factory reset the D-Link switch.  Not sure what it was doing but no matter what I tried (including the suggestion) didn't work.

In the end, having the default VLAN is also not recommended (it's a security issue).  I ended up creating two VLANs with all ports untagged except for the trunk ports as tagged for all VLANS.  Then made VLAN 1 (default) as non-mandatory.  However, this is just an extra step. Real solution was to factory reset the D-Link and re-do the configuration I mentioned earlier if one just wants to solve the problem with VLAN 1 still being a default.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi @TomZeee 

Welcome to Community!

For the VLAN1, could you please change the port5 untag to VLAN1(PVID=1) and try again on GS305E?

By default, we hope new VLANs(non-VLAN1) forward with tagged between two switches, but VLAN1 without tagged.

Message 2 of 3
TomZeee
Aspirant

Turns out the solution was to factory reset the D-Link switch.  Not sure what it was doing but no matter what I tried (including the suggestion) didn't work.

In the end, having the default VLAN is also not recommended (it's a security issue).  I ended up creating two VLANs with all ports untagged except for the trunk ports as tagged for all VLANS.  Then made VLAN 1 (default) as non-mandatory.  However, this is just an extra step. Real solution was to factory reset the D-Link and re-do the configuration I mentioned earlier if one just wants to solve the problem with VLAN 1 still being a default.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements