× NETGEAR is aware of a growing number of phone and online scams. To learn how to stay safe click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: upgrade GS108Tv2 firmware on Linux?

coyote3
Guide

upgrade GS108Tv2 firmware on Linux?

I don't have a Windows PC anymore to upgrade to the new firmware for my GS108Tv2, so how do I in Linux Mint?

(I used to use the Smart Control Center.exe)

I figured I'd try to reach the webpage of the GS108Tv2 in Firefox, but my (Netgear RAX120) router webpage (ditto the Nighthawk app on my Android phone) doesn't show a GS108Tv2 (though it does show devices connected to it).

The router does think it has an "Apple-MacBook" connected to it via ethernet, and I'm guessing this is the switch (since I have zero Apple devices and zero unlisted wired devices).

But Firefox can't find a webpage for this device (192.168.1.__), so I have no idea how to update the switch's firmware.  Help please, many thanks in advance!

Model: GS108Tv2|ProSafe 8 ports gigabit smart switch
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Cold reboot the switch and check the router attached device for the logs for the DHCP server ip address assignment to the switch MAC.

Alternate, install Netgear Insight on your Android device and check if the switch can be discovered on the network.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Cold reboot the switch and check the router attached device for the logs for the DHCP server ip address assignment to the switch MAC.

Alternate, install Netgear Insight on your Android device and check if the switch can be discovered on the network.

Message 2 of 6
coyote3
Guide

Thank you very much schumaku, the Insight app reminded me what the IP address is (192.168.1.___).

I remembered the steps (which I wish were a little friendlier) and succeeded. Thankfully I also remembered the need to reboot before System Information would show the new firmware.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@coyote3 wrote:

... the Insight app reminded me what the IP address is (192.168.1.___).

Alternate approach on a Linux system would be using eg. an nmap scan on the subnet. No problems posting private RFC1918 is fine, we're all using the same ones.

@coyote3 wrote:

I remembered the steps (which I wish were a little friendlier) and succeeded.

Leaving the legacy approach for up and download alone (Netgear has changed this oddity on newer switch model Web UIs), some added complexity comes from the fact that we have dual-image systems. Ideally, one would update the oldest image on the switch, then make the new one bootable. 

@coyote3 wrote:

Thankfully I also remembered the need to reboot before System Information would show the new firmware.

Needless to say, making the new uploaded partition active, and then reboot is required. 

Message 4 of 6
coyote3
Guide

@schumaku wrote:

"Needless to say, making the new uploaded partition active, and then reboot is required."

I agree the reboot is consistent with all the other steps one needs to take manually, I'm just so used to it being automatic that for some reason it didn't occur to me that that step didn't occur automatically when making the new image active.

By "legacy", I guess all f/w updates used to be like this?  Wow, I'm old but I don't recall encountering another f/w update process that was like this.

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

All the Smart Managed Pro switches with dual-image for sure, yes. It's nice to be able to upload the new image to the inactive partition without being cut off ... just like Cisco IOS, isn't it?  This does not apply to the Smart Managed Plus ones which have only one.

With "legacy" I mean using download to upload firmware, and then some not very obvious wordings like "image" for the firmware.

Hey, I'm almost 60 8-)

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements