× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another unhappy story

alessandro9
Aspirant

Another unhappy story

Hi everybody,

One day my stora stopped to show in my network. I tried to reset it but as far as I read, the server to recover the firmware is down and the NAS did not finish the recovery procedure.

Now I am not able to acess it neither via SSH, even if upnp is on and all doors look to be open.

Every time I try to connect to the NAS, the webpage tells me "the server interrupted the connection because it is busy".

I am getting mad to try to find a solution.

The stora mounts two 4TB drives in RAID1 config and I managed to install them thanks to a little hack that is available on the internet. Since I have some data I would like to recover, I cannot just buy another NAS and format the disks, even if I would really like to.

@Gitsov told me that a solution is to change the power supply in order to get SSH access, but unfortunately I didn't find one.

Is there any other advice?

I currently connect the NAS to a netgear DGND3700v2 router, but no internet connection is available. I am just keeping a network with the router, the NAS and a PC in order to try to find a solution.

Help?

Thanks a lot.

Message 1 of 2
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Re: Another unhappy story

@alessandro9 , I personally use 12V/2A adapter from my USB 3.0 disk enclosure (Orico as brand), when I "just want to play with Linux firmware inside", BUT WITHOUT HDDs. That adapters are relatively cheap and can be purchased in any random shop which sells such power adapters. Power jack is pretty "standard"/commonly found on many other routers, SOHO switches and maybe on electronics shops, eBay. For for "production" purposes I am using this one from attached image ( ~10€ price here), which I've bought as "LED Lighting Stripe Power adapter". As I said (and have several similar situations on the past) usually power adapter is at it's end of his life and power is unstable.

Sympthoms:

- Bad/weak sectors on hard drives, appearing in "explosive" quantity

- One or both hard drives are having unstable fluctuating speeds, then point from above. 

- Sporadic, random "clicking" sound from drives, at some point escalating to point 1

- One drive is disappearing, usually when you have some transfer of large files over network, then randomly appears "by itself". Later situation is escalating to point 1.

- Notices after reboot in system logs that RAID was lost sync and it's being recovered. Symptom is "just before" points above.

- damaged files due errors caused by unstable power supply and processor or disk controller does not calculate and write files properly. Usual sign in that archives (RAR/Zip/7-zip) are with mismatched checksums or wrong bits inside.

- Unsuccessfull start on unit, especially after long period without power. One or more next few (re)starts are successful. 

Tell me whare are current state of the unit?

Have you tried to recover unit without disks with details from PM?
Any lights WITHOUT disks inside?

Any errors in the log of recovery?

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7