× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any Word on 3TB Drive Support?

SpudNuts
Novice

Any Word on 3TB Drive Support?

I just got a Stora and also have 2 Seagate 3TB drives.

I've been able to get both drives recognized with RAID0 and show 5.4TB available but I want redundancy and would like RAID1.

I get both drives recognized with 2.7TB each but total disk space says 0 and it keeps saying I need to configure the drives. I've tried over a over again but doesn't seem to do anything.

I've upgraded to the latest update but still doesn't work.

Any ideas?
Thanks.
Message 1 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

Re: Any Word on 3TB Drive Support?

Nevermind, I got it figured out.

I now have my stora running 2 3TB drives with RAID1. Total space 2.7TB mirrored.
Message 2 of 38
rsinj
Guide

Well, this is definitely news.

Roby, have you been holding back on us?

SpudNuts, if this is really true, please go add the drive onto the sticky above for "Stora drive compatibility list".

Could you also post a screen print of what the Stora shows in Preferences under the Drive Status?
Message 3 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

rsinj,

This wasn't done because Netgear finally decided to set it up to support the drives. Although, this wasn't that difficult and netgear can put in the next release without that much effort. I had to back door the device and make a few changes to the configuration for it to work. I had to manually create the raid and redo the partitions on the Stora.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51352709@N04/6452902739/
Message 4 of 38
rsinj
Guide

Well, it's still nice work on your part!

Hopefully you won't have any issues going forward when applying Netgear updates, or if you need to replace a drive.
Message 5 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

rsinj wrote:
Well, it's still nice work on your part!

Hopefully you won't have any issues going forward when applying Netgear updates, or if you need to replace a drive.

I don't know about updates yet but replacing a drive shouldn't be a problem, it should do a rebuild like it normally would. It already knows about the 3tb partitions, so that shouldn't be an issue.
Message 6 of 38
eqp
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi SpudNuts,

I have the same problem with 2 3T Western Digital hard drives. How have you solved the issue? (back door?)
Message 7 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

eqp wrote:
Hi SpudNuts,

I have the same problem with 2 3T Western Digital hard drives. How have you solved the issue? (back door?)

You can do some google'n about it but it does involve some Linux work. I'm no expert at it but it wasn't that difficult.

You have to manually change the partitions and create a new RAID array. I won't give out the info here because I think it would be stepping on netgears toes but they know it can be done and there isn't a reason why it can't be fixed on the next upgrade.
Message 8 of 38
mhornung09
Aspirant

SpudNuts wrote:
I don't know about updates yet but replacing a drive shouldn't be a problem, it should do a rebuild like it normally would. It already knows about the 3tb partitions, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Can you please email me at mhornung09@gmail.com how to set up the drives. I am having difficulty getting the drives formated. I have the same seagate barracuda drives that you have formated.
Message 9 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

I sent you an email. Let me know if you need any help. Be advised that it works but I still have not tested it after a firmware upgrade. I won't be able to do that until after Netgear comes out with a new upgrade.
Message 10 of 38
DizzyThermal
Aspirant

Hey Spudnuts, I was wondering if this was possible with a JBOD configuration?

I have a 2TB and 3TB drive and wanted to get this setup to give me ~5TB of space..

I noticed that 3TB drives were not in the compatibility list and wanted to give your approach a spin..

Do you think you could give me a quick write up of what I need to do? I'm familiar with UNIX/Linux and GPartEd so I'd appreciate your help

🙂 Thanks in advance!
Message 11 of 38
aragorn21
Novice

I'm also trying to set up 2 wd caviar drives of 3tb each, but been getting nothing but amber lights on the Stora so far, no matter what I tried.

Any ideas how to make this work ?
Message 12 of 38
safraco
Aspirant

SpudNuts wrote:
Nevermind, I got it figured out.

I now have my stora running 2 3TB drives with RAID1.
Total space 2.7TB mirrored.

Thank you very much for sharing,
please tell me how you do that.

safraco at gmail dot com

thank you again.
Message 13 of 38
Pstreicher
Guide

I have been using the Stora now for about three years. I upgraded to two 2tb drives and have been using them as RAID1 with no problems. Recently I have wanted to increase my storage space, like a lot of other people here. What I would like to know is what NAS box should I be looking to buy to upgrade from Stora that will allow 3tb drives and larger in the future? Does Netgear make such a box at this time?
Message 14 of 38
Longimanus
Aspirant

SpudNuts wrote:
I sent you an email. Let me know if you need any help. Be advised that it works but I still have not tested it after a firmware upgrade. I won't be able to do that until after Netgear comes out with a new upgrade.

Hi SpudNuts,
The 2012 firmware update does not change anything: 3TB HD are still not supported. One of my 2TB HD crashed and I made the mistake to replace both by twi 3TB WD HD. Would you have something that could work to sort this out? Many thanks.
Message 15 of 38
oliver_truth
Novice

Hi,

If I undersand, i want to do the same thing.I have 2 esata seagate (2x1To)(barracuda), and i want to switch in raid0 (now in raid1)

Can you help me?

Thank (and excuse my english!!)

Oliver
Message 16 of 38
NASnoob
Aspirant

Hey , I know this is an old post ....

But I am having problems with my 3TB western digital hdd going into my Netgear Stora, any chance you could email me the details on how you managed to get your Stora to accept your 3TB drives?

Much Obliged 🙂
Message 17 of 38
NASnoob
Aspirant

Hi Spud nuts , please send me the notes as I am trying to install a 3tb Western digital to my Stora..... My email is lukecoleman07@gmail.com

Cheers
Message 18 of 38
kripet
Aspirant

SpudNuts wrote:
You can do some google'n about it but it does involve some Linux work. I'm no expert at it but it wasn't that difficult.

You have to manually change the partitions and create a new RAID array. I won't give out the info here because I think it would be stepping on netgears toes but they know it can be done and there isn't a reason why it can't be fixed on the next upgrade.

Hi - it seems Netgear never got around to fix the 3tb issue. Anyway it is still not possible with the latest (and last) firmware upgrade. So could You pls send me info on how to do the backdoor fix - it won't be stepping on anyone’s toes as it never was fixed
Message 19 of 38
Seron
Aspirant

Hi SpudNut,
can you please send me an mail with the instructions to get a 3- or 4tb WD RED drive working in the stora, also in raid 1? 🙂

vip.sub4sub@gmail.com
Message 20 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

Since i'm not getting posts from the forum and netgear isn't going to upgrade to support 3tb drives, i'm just going to post it here:

First, you need SSH access to your stora:

SSH Access to a Stora

First you need to get your Stora’s product key, it’s located behind the Stora, close to the ethernet port or may be on the bottom of the device, it’s in the form “XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX”.

Then you just need to SSH to your Stora with a particular user which is just one of the users created through the web interface (the user needs to have the administrator flag selected) concatenated by the string “_hipserv2_netgear_XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX” (where XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX is your product key, ALL CAPITAL LETTERS!), this time you’ll get a password prompt instead of the “connection to x:22 exited: remote closed the connection”, just enter the user password, which is the one you use to access your Stora through the web interface and you’ll get user access. Now to get root access you just need to write “sudo -s” and enter again the user password, every ADMINISTRATOR user is allowed to use the sudo command. You’ll probably get a: “audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused” but it doesn’t matter, you’ll get the root prompt!

Example: if you created a user named “stora”, flagging the “user is administrator” during the Stora setup or through the web interface and your Stora’s product key is “1234-5678-9999-9999? you just need to ssh to your Stora and use “stora_hipserv2_netgear_1234-5678-9999-9999? as user, either using Putty or your favorite SSH client and enter that user’s password, then “sudo -E -s” and you’ll get root access, that’s it!

There’s another way to login concatenating the username with the string “_axsync_” but it allows you to issue only “mkdir” and “rsync” commands.

Explanation:

Basically Netgear, or more probably Axentra, ships his software with a modified version of SSHD that disallows regular user access, except for “root” and “apache” users, what it does is basically changing the logging username by substituting the first character with a “0? so it doesn’t match with the list of allowed users inside the /etc/passwd.

The SSH Deamon leaves a “backdoor” open, which basically is: if your username is appended with the above string, this substitution doesn’t take place, and you can login normally.

p.s. the “hipserv2_netgear” part may be different for some users, although I suppose is the same for everybody, if you already hacked your Stora using other ways I’d ask you to check the “/etc/oe-release” and post here the DistName line and we’ll try to figure it out.

Now to setup your stora to support 3tb drives:

Requirements:

- Any SSH client
- Two 3TB or bigger drives
- Any USB stick inserted in the front of the stora

Copy every line step by step:

---Get root

sudo -E -s

---Navigate to sbin directory

cd /sbin

---Partition the first drive with GNU parted (to make a GPT file format so that 3TB+ drives work)

./parted /dev/sda
mklabel gpt
yes
[Press Enter]
unit TB
mkpart primary 0.00TB 3.00TB (4.00TB for 4tb but I haven't tried it).
print
quit

---Partition the second drive with GNU parted

./parted /dev/sdb
mklabel gpt
yes
[Press Enter]
unit TB
mkpart primary 0.00TB 3.00TB
print
quit

---Make the raid0 array with a blocksize of 128 (the blocksize is defaulted to 64, but 128 might be more desireable)

./mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=0 --chunk=128 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

y

or

---Make the raid1 array

./mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --chunk=128 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

y

--- Wait for sync (also shows in web interface)

watch cat /proc/mdstat

*** Takes Long Time *** Mine took 4 1/2 hours.

---Make the USB Stick a swap partition and mount it as swap drive

./mkswap /dev/sdc
./swapon /dev/sdc

---Then we partition the drives to XFS filesystem

./mkfs.xfs /dev/md0

---Then we are going to text edit the fstab system (this system mounts the drive at startup)

vi /etc/fstab

Remove the # in front of

/dev/md0 /home xfs defaults,bsdgroups,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

Then as a finishing very important touch we make sure that the raid0 array is remembered at startup

./mdadm -Q --detail --brief /dev/md0 > /etc/mdadm.conf

Then reboot the device

./reboot

Wait a few minutes, you should see the device boot. The HDD leds will go from green to orange for a few seconds, don't worry they will become green again and you should hear the HDD's working. This is probably the stora finalizing the partition so that it's ready for use.

Let me know what you think.
Message 21 of 38
SpudNuts
Novice

Can this be made into a sticky? Since there hasn't been in upgrade in ages, maybe some can use this for 3-4tb drives. I've been running on 2 3tb drives for about a year now and no issues.
Message 22 of 38
Euphonium
Aspirant

Many thanks, SpudNuts.

I'm trying it now with 2x 4Tb discs. Having typed

watch cat /proc/mdstat

Should I get any sort of progess inidcator?

Can you used this medthod to do JBOD rather than RAID-0? I want maximum capacity, and my past experience with other devices is that with RAID-0, if I lose one disc, I lose everything, were as with JBOD I have managed to recover the non-failed drive.

Thanks again!
Message 23 of 38
Euphonium
Aspirant

OK, that worked. I now have 2x4Tb drives as RAID-0
I don't know how long it took, as after typing

watch cat /proc/mdstat

nothing happened. After 6-8 hours the SSH session still appeared to be frozen so I checked nia the web interface and it appeared to be done.
I followed the rest od SpuNut's instructions, and everything worked, so I'm now pouring many Tb of data back into the Stora! :):):)

Only one question remaining before I start on my 2nd Stora - Is it possible to do JBOD instead of RAID?

Many thanks!
Message 24 of 38
SCMProfessor
Novice

Spudnutz

Thanks for the step by step directions. It certainly saved the day, allowing me to put the 4 TB drives in. 2x4TB is a nice backup to have.

Question: What is the purpose for setting the USB drive as "swap"? And does this mean that USB drive needs to be forever attached?

Thanks.

Steve
Message 25 of 38
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7