× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Auto-Mount Stora in Ubuntu (Linux)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Auto-Mount Stora in Ubuntu (Linux)

Now it's been a while since I setup my Stora in Windows, so I can't remember the process I used there, but under Windows, I can easily access my Stora via both my network places/drives and automatically-mounted "drives" in Explorer/My Computer...

All I need to do is login to Windows and I'm good to go!

Under Ubuntu (Linux) however, I have to click Browse Network-->Windows Network, however this tells me:

Unable to mount location
Failed to retrieve share list from server

The only way I can access my Stora is to login via the Web interface, which then redirects me the browser-based, local (i.e. non-Internet) version of my Stora...

How can I configure Ubuntu (Linux), so that my Stora is mounted automatically, like under Windows?

I'm running:
* Ubuntu 12.04 LTS ("Precise Pangolin")(64-bit version)
* Stora MS2110, running Stora firmware 2.6.2.0.0.426:1.2.329
Message 1 of 8
robyb
Aspirant

Re: Auto-Mount Stora in Ubuntu (Linux)

Message 2 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

That thread is in relation to permissions issues, in fact the opening sentence even states:
str8g8 wrote:
I have managed to permanently mount the Family LIbrary in /mnt/stora/ using fstab and cifs etc but I think I have a permissions problem

As you can see, "str8g8" has already managed to auto-mount his Stora... Something I am yet to achieve.

Furthermore, because "str8g8" has already achieved this, he does not provide instructions...
Message 3 of 8
robyb
Aspirant

Cyba_Cowboy wrote:
That thread is in relation to permissions issues, in fact the opening sentence even states:

As you can see, "str8g8" has already managed to auto-mount his Stora... Something I am yet to achieve.

Furthermore, because "str8g8" has already achieved this, he does not provide instructions...

He's got a complete sample of the line he's added to the fstab. I don't understand what you're missing?

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 4 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So I need to search for an install "fstab", then enter the relevant command in terminal as the admin ("sudo")?
Message 5 of 8
robyb
Aspirant

Not quite. Familiarize yourself with what FSTAB is and how to mount samba shares using CIFS. Then using the example provided you should be able to configure your Stora samba shares to mount automatically using CIFS.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

In other words, I'm right back where I started - without a solution...
Message 7 of 8
TerryJColes
Luminary

Cyba_Cowboy wrote:
In other words, I'm right back where I started - without a solution...

I think you're being a little unfair to Roby. He's told you where to find the answer, but you are asking him to explain Linux tools to you. Would you expect him to explain how to mount shares in Windows?

What you need to do (as he has indicated) is use the information available on the web about Ubuntu, CIFS and fstab (say http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=288534 for example).

If you still can't see what to do, follow the links in those forums. Linux is probably one of the best supported Operating Systems on the planet; it's just that the support is ad hoc and not generally provided by specific application forums like the Stora.

The fact is that your problem is not specific to the Stora; you would have exactly the same problem if you were trying to mount any Windows share in any Linux distro.
Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7