× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

BLOD on Stora MS2110 Can't reflash (burn fails)

brianreeves
Follower

BLOD on Stora MS2110 Can't reflash (burn fails)

My Stora recently became unaccessable and could not be restarted or shutdown using the button on the back.  When it boots, it goes straight to the BLOD (blinking blue power light: ~5 blinks, then off, repeat...).  I tried the much posted procedure of holding the reset button with a paperclip 15 seconds after the power up starts.  The lights show recognized IP address, then download starts (alternating HDD lights with power light off), but the download lights only last 10 times or so, less than 10 seconds.  Then, the lights go to "burn failed" where the power light stays solid and the HDD alternate orange (HDD1 where the drive is installed is green when not flashing orange).  

Any ideas how to force the burn to work and reset this thing?  I'm hoping that I haven't lost 10 years of family pictures...

Thanks,
Brian

Message 1 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Re: BLOD on Stora MS2110 Can't reflash (burn fails)

Check your PMs

Message 2 of 27
PeTRX850
Aspirant

Hi Gitsov, i have the same issu with my stora. Unable to re-flash. Could you please share the solution?

Thx Petr

Message 3 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for delay - just coming back to home. PM was sent few minutes ago.

In case of problems - please reply to mine/yours PM.

Message 4 of 27
PeTRX850
Aspirant

Hey Gitov thank you very much. It helps.

My symptom was that Stora was not visible from any media player on my network but was visible for all PCs on the network. So i first made soft reset then hard reset and after all i try to reflash but unsucesfully with brick my Stora. I use Stora primary for movie sharing so i need to use UPnP. But i suspect that after last official update (2.61 / hbs-544) from Netgear all Storas "should be" bricked that we must buy new products |joking !?| Smiley Very Happy
I try later today update to the new SW/FW again and let you know boys. It is funny that update server is still alive and "fre-flash" server not.

Message 5 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

To be honest, I am using it only for my important files (Samba sharing) and for backing up via TFTP contents of my hosting account in UK (CoreIX DC). Usually when I open network tab in Windows exploder there are always 2 icons - Stora UPNP-AV and DIR-860L-DLNA (my router). I never used them as in my room there are two Windows 10 PCs and on my son's root there is a plain "dumb" 32" LED TV with one old Acer laptop and USB HDD. So DLNA in my situation isn't needed at all. You can reflash your unit again, but you can't go too far in oldest firmwares - recovery VM flashes (I think) 5043 so  you can't go back much more without risking of another brick and maybe total crash if older update contains U-Boot. Be careful with rolling back changes. If you brick U-Boot way to recover is very harder and will definitely require serial TTL adapter. Get SSH access to unit and check dmesg log for mini-dlna problems. If there are any problems, probably they will be logged and I can try to address them when I have some free time.

Message 6 of 27
bolduz
Aspirant

Hello, I saw that you shared the solution to the problem privately via PM.

Could you please send it to me too?

Thank you very much

Message 7 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Check your PMs

Message 8 of 27
260RS
Aspirant

Hi ya,

I recently have had my Stora break, and not the usual problems I've noticed either. I have tried the firmware update thing, several times, but it's seems to fail after about 5-10 senconds of the HDD lights alternating, and end up with them both flashing error.

When I turn the unit on normally, it seems to boot, an eventually gets to a state where the blue light flashes 4-5 times, stops, then repeats after a second I think, while both HDD lights stay green. Can ping, but can;t Telnet, SSH or browse to on any ports.

Judging by this, and previous messages it sounds like you have a offline fix for this issue, can you please share that with me also?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers

John

Message 9 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs. Instructions were sent.

Message 10 of 27
mrstringy
Aspirant

So pleased that I found this thread tonight....

I have owned my Stora for many years. Occasionally it has frozen, but I have always been able to recover using the "wait 15 seconds then press and hold reset" method. However, using the same method has not worked for me today and I have experienced the same issue as other users on this thread - DHCP ok, HDD lights start flashing alternately for a few seconds as if dowloading the firmware, but then they both stay on and blue light flashes rapidly once every few seconds.

Any assistance that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Message 11 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Good morning,

Check your PMs. You have one from me with instructions.

Message 12 of 27
ajikfan
Aspirant

Hi guy I have the same problem, can you help me please ?

Message 13 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs.

Message 14 of 27
foundrydru
Aspirant

Hello Gitsov I have the same problem, can you help?

Message 15 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs.

Message 16 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

I am about to order next week spare 512MB NAND chips for these units. Offer is for ready preprogrammed chip and optional replacement locally in my town. Whoever need them - please contact me for additional details in PM.

Message 17 of 27
segasonic
Aspirant

Afternoon all! My Stora (MS2110 I think, it doesn't actually show the model number anywhere) stopped allowing access to my data, so I rather foolishly attempted the reflash without being aware that the update server was no longer up. Now I get solid green HD lights and the power light quickly flashing blue at regular intervals.

After a lot of research it seems that you're the only one who knows how to fix it, Gitsov. If you could help that would be wonderful.

TIA!

Message 18 of 27
nedyar
Aspirant

Rif.: BLOD on Stora MS2110 Can't reflash (burn fails)

@brianreeveswrote:

My Stora recently became unaccessable and could not be restarted or shutdown using the button on the back.  When it boots, it goes straight to the BLOD (blinking blue power light: ~5 blinks, then off, repeat...).  I tried the much posted procedure of holding the reset button with a paperclip 15 seconds after the power up starts.  The lights show recognized IP address, then download starts (alternating HDD lights with power light off), but the download lights only last 10 times or so, less than 10 seconds.  Then, the lights go to "burn failed" where the power light stays solid and the HDD alternate orange (HDD1 where the drive is installed is green when not flashing orange).  

Any ideas how to force the burn to work and reset this thing?  I'm hoping that I haven't lost 10 years of family pictures...

Thanks,
Brian

I have exactly the same problem, Someone could help me please?

Thanks

Message 19 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for a late picking this - I had a busy day. PMs with instrucitons were sent.

Message 20 of 27
segasonic
Aspirant

Stora recovered! Thank you so much 🙂

Message 21 of 27
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Glad to see that worked for you. In a meantime I have sent registration backup/restore script to everyone who used PayPal link 🙂

Message 22 of 27
Perchman
Aspirant

Hi guys,

I also have the problem with my Stora. (Flash which doesn't work and in normal launch the blue led always blinking).

Gitsov I would really appreciate your instructions for this

Thanks a lot in advance.
Cheers Fabrice.
Message 23 of 27
Perchman
Aspirant

Thanks a lot for your help and support @Gitsov it worked!

Message 24 of 27
ALANEFC
Aspirant

Stora MS2110 Can't reflash (burn fails)

I have owned my Stora for many years. Occasionally it has frozen, but I have always been able to recover using the "wait 15 seconds then press and hold reset" method. However, using the same method has not worked for me today and I have experienced the same issue as other users on this thread - DHCP ok, HDD lights start flashing alternately for a few seconds as if dowloading the firmware, but then they both stay on and blue light flashes rapidly once every few seconds.

Any assistance that anyone can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Message 25 of 27
Discussion stats
  • 26 replies
  • 18 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7