× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Bricked stora help

sonter
Aspirant

Bricked stora help

I had a problem with my Mylibrary folder not showing up on dlna devices, so I tried a reflash as described here https://community.netgear.com/t5/Stora-Legacy/Re-flash-your-NetGear-Stora/td-p/264219.

now however my stora seems completely bricked. 

When running the procedure above, I get alternating blinks on HD LEds and power led off, when it should have obtained IP, afterwards it ends up with power led on and HD Leds blinking together. I have tried this procedure several times, and it always ends the same. I check my router when trying this and stora shows up as storarecovery.

If I just try a normal boot, I get green leds on hds and blinking power leds, while stora shows up on router as "StoraRamFS"

what can I do, have about 3TBs of data I dont want to lose. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 51

Accepted Solutions
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for a late reply - I missed your post during the holidays and busy days thereafter. Please check your PMs - I've sent you possible solution.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 51

All Replies
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Sorry for a late reply - I missed your post during the holidays and busy days thereafter. Please check your PMs - I've sent you possible solution.

Message 2 of 51
sonter
Aspirant

your solution worked. thank you. I recovered a completely bricked stora

Message 3 of 51
GLInick
Aspirant

Could you please share that solution with me as well.

Thank you in advance.

Message 4 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs - I have sent you one.

Message 5 of 51
GLInick
Aspirant

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

It worked. I imported the appliance into virtualbox on a macbook laptop. I had to play around with the networking bits (just make sure you can ping out to a destination outside the vm, ideally, any server online).

What was a bricked stora, is working again. FYI, if you did a hard-reset of the stora, it won't be able to recover because the server where it needs to get its files is offline forever. This was the only solution I found, and it worked great. I was able to update to the latest firmware as well.

It really is a pity that this perfectly adequate hardware becomes trash when you do a hard reset. Because netgear.

Message 6 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Glad to see it worked for you. For now recovered units, base on kudoed users are little bit less than 60. "Counter" does not include my own unit and begins roghly in the end of September 2017..

Message 7 of 51
Antipe
Aspirant

Could you please share that solution with me as well.

Thank you in advance.

Message 8 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

PM was sent. Sorry for a delay - I was away from home for a while.

Message 9 of 51
netoni210
Aspirant

Hey, just tumbled accross this post while searching for this issue

Could you please share with me also. It's driving me nuts for days now

Message 10 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Check your PMs. I've sent you instructions.

Message 11 of 51
evg-purtov
Aspirant

Hello! I need help in flashing the Netgear Stora ms2000 ... Thanks !!

Message 12 of 51
netoni210
Aspirant

After going through all the steps getting, it looked like the reset would have been completed. I tried setting it up from scratch and now I get a Firefox window saying I cannot connect try again. Anyone having the same result after recovery?
Message 13 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

@netoni210can you please contact me on PM? What says log on before reboot?

Usually unit is taking IP from DHCP as it is set in that way. Please provide more details on PM to me, let's not SPAM topic with possibly unrelated details.

Message 14 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

@evg-purtov: Please check your private messages. You have one with instructions from me.

Message 15 of 51
Antipe
Aspirant

Thank you buddy you saved me a lot of wasted time

Message 16 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

I am about to order next week spare 512MB NAND chips for these units. Offer is for ready preprogrammed chip and optional replacement locally in my town. Whoever need them - please contact me for additional details in PM.

Message 17 of 51
Pananiajim
Aspirant

Hi I have the same problem. LEDs on my Stora stay yellow. And it's been so long since I have had access that I've forgooten all the details.

Heaps of photos I want to retrieve

Message 18 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

I have sent you PM with instructions. You will need to findout unit name which was used for registration or contact Netgear support to release your product key.

Message 19 of 51
justin310
Aspirant

Any way you could also send me the solution? I cannot get my Stora to factory reset and I don't seem to know the password... Thanks!

Message 20 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Have you managed to brick it already or activity is under it's way?

Stora factory defaults are restored with powered on unit - leave it to boot and when all LEDs stop flashing, press reset button on the back, HDD leds will begin to flash in series, after 7th one - release button and power down unit with power button. After next power on it will be restored to factory defaults and will require unit name, product key from the bottom and new user and password. Password can be reset with Stora desktop utilies (3rd paragraph of autorun). Let me know with PM if managed to reset or brick it.

Message 21 of 51
justin310
Aspirant

I think it is already bricked. I’ve tried to factory reset it several times and it just keeps flashing with the power and the LED lights on and off.
Thanks for any help you can think of... my iMac can see it but I’m not able to access it (in the sidebar or via disk utility). I’ve tried running the Stora application but cannot login...
Message 22 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Hello,

Yes, it's bricked. I have sent you PM with instructions how to recover it. Reply to PM if there are any difficulties.

Message 23 of 51
jigen71
Aspirant

Rif.: Bricked stora help

Could you please share with me also. My stora led blue blinking for 5-6 and stop and is unreadable hdd led is fix.

Please help me.Thank you

Message 24 of 51
Gitsov
Virtuoso

Rif.: Bricked stora help

Check your PMs

Message 25 of 51
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7