× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can HDD from Stora be read in another NAS?

Bagscarpets
Follower

Can HDD from Stora be read in another NAS?

My Netgear Stora became inaccessible again, so I hard reset it, then attempted a reflash, no joy.

It needed resetting every so aften anyway.

Then I came on the forum and found it was probably a Windows issue and now I have probably made it inaccessible. Oh well.

Is there an alternative NAS I can place the same HDDs in?

Or am I doomed to try and figure out a way to transfer the files off?

Only 10 years of photos and my entire CD collection!

If I have to transfer stuff off somehow would some kind soul point me to a step by step guide on how to do this?

Help!

Many thanks,

Message 1 of 2
Mohsen
Aspirant

Re: Can HDD from Stora be read in another NAS?

The short answer is maybe. But you are better off reading and copying your data with another computer.

You need to be fairly technical to do this and you need to make sure you have at least one other copy of your data. Why? aside from the fact that it is one of the copies of your data, it is also written in a highly tolerant filesystem called ZFS, which is a somewhat specialized skill in system administration.

You have three options: one, give it to a profession who knows what they are doing; two, look and see if there is software that lets you plug a USB enclosure into a windows desktop with ZFS (the key is ZFS); and three, if you are technical, setup an Ubuntu desktop; install ZFS components; make a ZFS pool; mount it somewhere, use cp or other commands to copy your data off the drive.

Message 2 of 2
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7