× Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7 technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Can not activate remote access

Video_Liam
Novice

Can not activate remote access

Hi All,

I have to be honest, I hate my Stora. It does freekey stuff all on its own and no matter how many times I ask a sencible question of the Netgear tech staff they refuse to give a honest straight forward answer.

My main issue is my stora has a habbit of sending loads of data to the internet that I can not detect other than I see the activity lights on the RJ45 connectors flashing away for NO REASON.

I have disabled remote access, I have changed passwords but to no avail. All I can do is reboot the unit, then it will sit there politely for a few hours and once my back has turned start flashing away again. I can only assume my unit is hacked. So in reality I leave the sodding thing turned off for months at a time as I can not trust it. ALL ATTEMPTS TO GET ANYTHING LIKE A REASONABLE ANSWER FROM TECH SUPPORT RESULTS IN STANDARD ANSWERS. I assume they just robot servers.

Anyway after leaving the unit switched off for months again, I restarted it and tried to do a software update. But becasue I had remote access switched off it wouldn't do it.. Dispite sitting there flashing away like a dervish. When I tried to turn on remote access it says the server could not be reached, try later... been doing that for weeks now.... same result. I mean that server has been down for a while now... like 6months...

Has anyone got any suggestion other than treating Netgear like Belkin rubbish and using it for a door stop?

Thanks

Liam
Message 1 of 5
robyb
Aspirant

Re: Can not activate remote access

Video_Liam wrote:
Has anyone got any suggestion other than treating Netgear like Belkin rubbish and using it for a door stop?

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=59089

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=62903

Post the activity logs/traces.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 2 of 5
Video_Liam
Novice

Hi,

I have done the self check thing, and no change.

I've not done the hard reset yet, as I can not remember what the default IP address with be for me to be able to log back on to my stora locally and re-configer. until I find those details I will wait before trying that

I took a look at my routers logs. It is a simple Linksys WRT54GS, so its logs are limited and have no time referances. However the only outgoing log entries are for my main desk top and tablet, not the stora which has a fixed IP address, (so I would spot it) but it still talks to something on the internet. I can see the modem lights flash late at night, and the ONLY equipment on is the STORA, the routers and the modem. And the Storas RJ45 light flashes away at the same pulses as the router and the modem. IT is definitly talking to something.. and having a good old natter... Talks more than my old mum! bless her... and more importantly it is stuck in the no remore access mode....! Driving me nuts..

Is anyone seeing the same thing?

Thanks for the reply...

Liam
Message 3 of 5
sprogy
Aspirant

i would imagine the activity every now n then would be the stora box talking to the stora servers. this is kinda usefull as it makes everything work as it should. when you log onto mystora.com to then access your stora, mystora.com needs to know where to send you? so its just updating ip addresses i would think. otherwise unless you know your ip address or have a dynamic ip mask in place it would be impossible for you to access your stora from outside your home network
Message 4 of 5
robyb
Aspirant

First, to re-flash the Stora you don't need an ip address. The device will be put back in dhcp regardless. Use the setup cd to set it up again.

Secondly, looking at the network lights to determine network traffic is kind of useless. You can't tell where the communication is going. Maybe its just keeping in touch with the router itself, maybe its broadcasting to the local stora agent, the local dlna server and the local itunes servers. Even if there are no clients, the broadcasting happens on the server.

http://www.wireshark.com. Do a proper trace and let us know if you find activity by your Stora going to the internet and we'll let you know what you're seeing.

Cheers,
Roby!
Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7